7.3 Liter Powerstroke MPG Upgrades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Liter Powerstroke MPG Upgrades

Hi Everyone:
A while ago I did some work on my 2001 F350 Super Duty with a 7.3L Powerstroke, auto trans, 4:11 axles, four wheel drive, crew cab and dual rear wheels. I have had the truck since it was new and it now has 117,000 miles on it. The fuel mileage has always been pretty crummy. I decide to see what I could do to improve the MPG. I made these mods:
1) I added an EGT gauge.
2) Installed an Injection pressure fooler. (since removed)
3) I replaced the Intercooler and engine valley boots.
4) Polished the Intercooler/Turbo "Y pipe".
5) And installed a 4" stainless exhaust.
I made a four part Youtube video that chronicles the whole project. Here are the links:

Please Comment, share and "Like" my videos.
Thanks, Mars
P.S. A picture is worth a thousand words and a 10 minute video has about one hundred thousand pictures in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not bein a jerk but besides the exhaust and maybe the injection pressure fooler i dont see how any of that helps mpg?? if i can get an extra 2 or 3 by polishing my spider then shoot yea, thats almost as good as gettin "go faster stripes" installed
Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvprohop23 View Post
Not bein a jerk but besides the exhaust and maybe the injection pressure fooler i dont see how any of that helps mpg?? if i can get an extra 2 or 3 by polishing my spider then shoot yea, thats almost as good as gettin "go faster stripes" installed
Hi hvprohop23
: I film my projects as I do them and I show the mistakes that I make along the way. I don't really know how things will turn out until the project is finished. All of the products that I installed except the Intercooler and engine valley boots and the pyrometer claimed to increase the fuel mileage 10 to 15%. It turns out that the claims were exaggerated. The overall savings was about 15% so i guess that the air filter and the exhaust both saved about 7 or 8%. figuring that I drive about 15,000 miles a year and fuel is/was about $3 per gallon I saved about $500 this year in fuel. I almost certainly saved more than that since don't do all of my driving on the freeway and I frequently pull a trailer. The small performance increase is a bonus.
Good Luck, Mars
Old 01-16-2011, 07:13 AM

Thumbs up Correction for you.

In your Pyro Install Video you state that your installing it in the Passenger side, but the video and normal installation spot in the Drivers side...

Kudos for you for the video and search for MPG.... My Truck picked up significant MPG with the installation of my 6 position chip with Economy setting and is faster at the same time.
My chip is Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance)...I like it alot...

You and given me an idea to polish the Manifold when I install my Engine boots..

Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited by Ragecajun; 01-16-2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Chip info added...
Old 01-16-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragecajun View Post
In your Pyro Install Video you state that your installing it in the Passenger side, but the video and normal installation spot in the Drivers side...

Kudos for you for the video and search for MPG.... My Truck picked up significant MPG with the installation of my 6 position chip with Economy setting and is faster at the same time.
My chip is Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance)...I like it alot...

You and given me an idea to polish the Manifold when I install my Engine boots..

Thanks,

Ryan
Hi Ryan: Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I will try to find it and edit in an annotation.
I would like to get a new performance chip but I need to beef up my transmission first.
Polishing the Y pipe was pretty easy and the only cost was $15 for flap sanders and the flap sanders still have a lot of life left in them.
Mars
Old 01-29-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvprohop23 View Post
Hi : I forgot to mention that I installed the pyrometer to monitor my EGTs. Of course it does nothing to help the MPGs. The DRPerformance advertisement claimed that their Fuel injector fooler would increase my MPGs by 15% and give tremendous HP and Torque increases without increasing the EGTs. I was sceptical of their claims but diesel was just under $5.00 per gallon at the time and they offered a 30 day money back guarantee so I gave it a shot.
I did a fairly elaborate MPG/EGT test of the various devices and posted videos on Youtube. I ran multiple runs loaded and empty with the “chip” on and off. I monitored the EGTs and calculated the MPG. I had previously built and installed an HHO (hydrogen) generator in the truck and I made runs with it on and off as well.
Here are the links to the videos:

I have other MPG videos in a playlist called:
“HHO MPG Tests”
Go to my channel, I have the Play list set to be one of the first things you see. Here is the link:

mars1952's Youtube Channel
Old 01-30-2011, 07:43 PM

what are your gear ratios?
Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenstroker99 View Post
what are your gear ratios?
Hi smokenstroker99: It is a 2001 F350 Super Duty with a 7.3L Powerstroke, auto trans, 4:11 axles, four wheel drive, crew cab and dual rear wheels.
Mars
Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars1952 View Post
The fuel mileage has always been pretty crummy. .
Mine averages 16 around town 21 on highway and 15-16 when towing I dont consider that crummy at all considering my last gas truck that was a 1/2 ton could barely break 14 on the highway.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob454 View Post
Mine averages 16 around town 21 on highway and 15-16 when towing I dont consider that crummy at all considering my last gas truck that was a 1/2 ton could barely break 14 on the highway.
Hi Rob: What I meant was crummy compared to what everyone I talked to said that their Powerstroke was getting.
Mars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel efficient, miles per gallon, mpg, powerstroke, super duty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.