Help me pick an oil and fuel filter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me pick an oil and fuel filter

Hey everyone, new to the forum and to the diesel world. I picked up an 03 lariat ccsb with a 7.3 in it. The previous owner has had it since new and has been running the mobile 1 delvac with a mobile 1 filter. I am wanting to switch back to the motorcraft oil filter and run rotella. My question is, is there a downfall to running the synthetic 5w40 rotella (besides the price)? Is there any "benefit" to running the regular 15w40 rotella? Also, he mentioned he was using some "hi performance" fuel filter or somethin on it, i was wanting to go back to a factory motorcraft fuel filter. Is there a better fuel filter option than the factory one i should look in to? Thank you in advance for your help. I'm sure these have been beat to death but its hard to search just the 7.3 section (unless im missing something) and most of the search results come back referring to the 6.0. I am aware that the 6.0 is very sensative to the factory oil and fuel filters so i'm assuming the 7.3 is also? As far as engine mods goes (if it makes a difference), it has a different turbo and exhaust on it with an edge with attitude chip. Also, not sure if it helps or not but i am no way a diesel racer and the truck is used as a daily driver and then tows a snowmobile trailer on the weekends.

Vernon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There's a lot of oil debate threads on here that do get technical, which is why I'm guessing this thread hasn't had a response yet.
All I can tell you is I just switched to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w40 for the winter months, then will go back to 15w40 for summer. I was running Motorcraft 15w40, but wanted to see how the synthetic does, and heard good things about Mobil 1. My truck is modded but does have 221k miles, IMO if you keep up on fluid changes and maintenance and pick a good oil, I think these trucks will run a long time.
Hi-Po fuel filter I've never heard of, I use Motorcraft filters for my oil & fuel.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:55 PM

I would run the exact same juice n filter that the first owner did. I personally run the Rotella T5 and my last filter was a Bosh, I don't see anything wrong with Fram, a lot
of guys say Wix filters are the best.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
There's a lot of oil debate threads on here that do get technical, which is why I'm guessing this thread hasn't had a response yet.
All I can tell you is I just switched to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w40 for the winter months, then will go back to 15w40 for summer. I was running Motorcraft 15w40, but wanted to see how the synthetic does, and heard good things about Mobil 1. My truck is modded but does have 221k miles, IMO if you keep up on fluid changes and maintenance and pick a good oil, I think these trucks will run a long time.
Hi-Po fuel filter I've never heard of, I use Motorcraft filters for my oil & fuel.
thanks for the response. is it pretty common for diesel guys to go from synthetic 5w40 in the winter and then back to 15w40 in the summer?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:49 PM

alot of people do that in all vehicles...run a thicker oil in the summer and a little bit thinner in the winter. i run 15w40 all year round though. i've heard great things about rotella...alot of guys swear by it.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhpick02 View Post
alot of people do that in all vehicles...run a thicker oil in the summer and a little bit thinner in the winter. i run 15w40 all year round though. i've heard great things about rotella...alot of guys swear by it.
yea ive heard of people going to different weights depending on the time of year but the 5w40 is synthetic and the 15w40 isnt.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 PM

motorcraft oil filter 11 bucks at walmart. if not then wix no doubt. i switch oils every so often depending on the deals at my shop but its usally royal purple 15 40 or rotealla 15 40 if its cold where your at then rotella makes a good 10w30 and the 5w40 either or oil is oil just dont use junk like fram or off brands.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 PM

no dont have to stick with syn once u start thats the biggest bull i ever heard. just keep your motor well oiled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.