Why the crazy love for the 7.3L ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why the crazy love for the 7.3L ???

I see it everywhere, the 7.3 has one hell of a following... I don't get it, but, I had to have a 7.3 myself!

I had a 2001 F250 with a 5.4L, after 225k miles I decided to swing an engine in... a spark plug broke and the debris damaged a valve... can't pull a head without pulling the engine so I decided on a rebuilt with a great warranty... well, as the mechanic got it up on the lift it fell off... total loss.

I decide to get the same truck with a 7.3L and did. 2001, crew cab, 7.3L. I read up on them and people love them. To be honest, the truck scares the hell out of me when I look under the hood! Never had a diesel before and everything is different... so, now I sit and read these forums trying to educate myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

This is a very good question and after sitting here thinking about it, I have no idea! I just like em. Please keep in mind that this is only my opinion but I love the sound of a 7.3. The 6.0’s sound like a little Kubota when they’re running especially when being cranked over.

My first experience with diesels was a 1992 IDI and I loved that truck. When the Powerstroke was introduced in only got better. I wanted one for a lllllooooonnnng time before I finally got mine.

Welcome to the org. I too sit here for hours just reading. This place is full of great information.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 AM

our trucks dont need 4G worth of stuff just to be reliable, run forever, and dont care about type of oil, tyoe of coolant, and a side from re-doing the 4R100 from a place like BTS they are also unstoppable. the running gear (other drive line parts) are also very well built and can with stand alot of abuse/misuse. oh yea....., the one thing that can make you waste a day very ez.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:59 AM

your in the right place. IMO its more simple than a gasser. you might think so too after some time here. i learned everything i know from this place.

imo - coolant EC1 rated, not jsut anything. and oil - motorcraft or rotella, maybe AMS. but thats subject of much debated opinion.

here are my thoughts, its reliable, soudns nice, comfortable and not toohorrible expensive to fix when something dies or wears out.

here is what was out there at the start of PSD's 94.5 to end 03:
GM 6.5 - general reliability issues, down on power compared to PSD and Cummins
Dodge - Great motor Cummins 5.9, garbage surrounding it
Chevy/Subaru 6.6 DMax (01-04.5), good but pricey, potential injector issues.
03 + 6.0 PSD's. reliability issues. many people sell and drop back to the 7.3. i keep hearing how the 7.3 is more comfortable anyway.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:05 PM

I feel 7.3 will last forever with far less issues (no egr valve,egr cooler to burst)
Old 01-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Emergency Services

Like others said, it'll last forever! It's simpler to me (because parts are bigger if that makes sense) than my old gassers and the amount of power of a diesel like this in general is awesome. My truck isn't fast in the diesel world but its faster than my old v6 gasser was and it weighs twice the amount! The 7.3 is the best sounding too in my opinion and the loudest which is a good thing for me. I don't like the way the Dodges sound (it mostly comes from their exhaust) and I hate how the brand new 6.7's are so dang quiet!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The 7.3 all the way from the 1994.5 début till they disappeared in 2003 was an extremely reliable engine. I know of a few over 500000 miles including my dads and the only thing he has replaced on the actual engine is the HPOP at 545000 miles.

If your lucky enough to have the ZF5 transmission with it to then you have nothing to worry about for a long time assuming you take care of the truck.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannanw View Post
our trucks dont need 4G worth of stuff just to be reliable, run forever, and dont care about type of oil, tyoe of coolant, and a side from re-doing the 4R100 from a place like BTS they are also unstoppable. the running gear (other drive line parts) are also very well built and can with stand alot of abuse/misuse. oh yea....., the one thing that can make you waste a day very ez.
Unless its a PMR truck

But on that note neither does a 6.0. All it needs is 100 bucks worth of coolant and a coolant filter
Old 01-13-2011, 12:25 PM

267000 and still running. 20 mpg empty on the highway (take that prius), holds all 6 of my family with no legroom issues (teenage boys are 6' tall, too) pulls loaded trailer all day long and don't have to pull the cab to do major engine work. 7.3 is the one for me.

Note: watch your coolant, you have to have the EC-1 rated. I get CAT coolant from a local truck shop. It's not so much picky abouot oil, but don't scrimp there either, lot of good choices, I use Delo 400 from Walmart at $11/gal.

dave
Old 01-13-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ronning View Post
The 7.3 all the way from the 1994.5 début till they disappeared in 2003 was an extremely reliable engine. I know of a few over 500000 miles including my dads and the only thing he has replaced on the actual engine is the HPOP at 545000 miles.

If your lucky enough to have the ZF5 transmission with it to then you have nothing to worry about for a long time assuming you take care of the truck.
Arnt you referring to the ZF6? I thought the ZF5's were the ones with reliability issues in the stock/oem clutches. If not my bad... because after all I usually ask you if I'm not sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.