avoiding sludge and deposits - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
avoiding sludge and deposits

I just purchased an 02 7.3 with 230,000 miles. I am going through and doing all the maintenance necessary or otherwise to get the truck on my schedule. Due to the high oil pressure and STP oil filter I am guessing it has dino oil in it currently.
I have just purchased AMS oil and filter. I am considering buying some rotella synthetic and a motorcraft filter then changing the oil, running it about 1000 miles. Then changing it to the AMS oil to hopefully push some sludge out. is this overkill or useless even? is there a dealer recommended engine flush? like motorcraft etc?... i have always been very nervous about using engine flushes. also is it a good idea to use a high power magnet near the drip hole of the pan to better efficiently collect metal particles from the oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

magnet wont hurt, but shouldnt be necessary. why are you wantign to flush? just fro PM or do you think it was neglected?

ive heard (on gassers) once you go synthetic you should go back to dino. but i dont know if thats true of diesels. motorcraft and rotella seem to the the two most popular, third probably AMS. prolong is an additive that seems to do well. and some people have tried the new REV-X but its pricey iirc.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:25 PM

bump.. ..
Old 01-22-2011, 09:34 PM

I would suggest putting amsoil's new oil prep/addative in your current oil. its designed to act as a strong detergent and clean all of the crap out of your oil and engine including sludge before you make the switch to amsoil. I would also strongly suggest running amsoil. I got 2.2 average mpgs better after switching to it, also my truck starts better and warms up faster in the winter because synthetic oil has a lower pour point than dino. Lower pour point also allows for the oil to get into the turbo and onto other parts faster minimizing unnecessary wear in the colder months and on every start up.

In a nutshell, better mpg's and faster easier start up and warm up cycles. Good oil is cheap insurance.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Honestly these trucks run pretty good on anything, just get a good CI4 or CJ4 rated oil and i agree motorcraft filter IMO.

Btw... drive it like its meant to be.. HARD. that keeps em happy.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:14 AM

When you say you have high oil pressure I hope you not going by the stock oil pressure gauge because it is really just an idiot light. It just reads in the normal ange when enough oil pressure is present to close a pressure switch.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:53 PM

hmm lol I was..... I was unaware that gauge was not an accurate depiction. that explains why it did not change when I changed my oil lol thanks for the tip.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 PM

Sorry to scab on this post, but I was wondering about potential leaks when going from regular to synthetic. I have heard it my or may not leak. I have later 99 7.3 with 138xxx on it, and no leaks. Anybody have any comments?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jse51599 View Post
Sorry to scab on this post, but I was wondering about potential leaks when going from regular to synthetic. I have heard it my or may not leak. I have later 99 7.3 with 138xxx on it, and no leaks. Anybody have any comments?
If it doesn't leak now, it probably won't leak with synthetic oil either. You should be good to go.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 PM

old synthetics when they first came out could and did sometimes cause leakage on higher mileage engines...think first gen mobile 1. Synthetics now and then are a world apart

IMHO, amsoil is a waste of your hard earned money. your 7.3 will run just as well and as long with motorcraft or rotela oil and Motorcraft filters from wal mart. Dont use any addatives in your oil. 7.3 injectors arent known for stiction like the 6.0's. Prolong, slick 50, etc are all nono's in a HEUI engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.