7.3 Buying Guide - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Buying Guide

Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum and I searched for a thread for this but I couldn't find anything.

I am looking to buy a 95-03 F-350 crewcab longbed 4x4 powerstroke manual. I would prefer a 99-03 cuz I like the newer bodystyle, but I would take either. My questions are what do I need to look out for? How many miles are OK? With a higher mile engine will I still be safe to run a chip, possibly bigger injectors and turbo, or propane injection? I like to build my trucks and I tow quite a few large trailers regularly. All advice is greatly appreciated.

-Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarrick View Post
Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum and I searched for a thread for this but I couldn't find anything. -Jon
Top of the main forum page under the 7.3 Tech Files: What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD

Oh, and "high mileage" on these trucks is anything over 700,000. There is a boatload of info in the Tech Files.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info, just read that whole page. So buying a farely stock 200,xxx mile truck and building it up wouldnt be bad?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:23 AM

It should be a good place to start. The only way to really destroy these engines is to run it low on oil, or the wrong grade of oil since it uses the oil to fire the fuel injectors.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:36 AM

Yup, 7.3's are damn near indestructible... takes a helluva lot of neglect and missuse to ruin one... I'd get gauges though if I planned on towing a lot, got to watch those tranny temps and egts.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Stay away from propane....

And if your looking to mod the truck, stay away from 01-03 model years. Those years came with PMR's (powder metal rods) which are weak. Pushing them past 400hp is a real chore.

Some 01's came with forged rods but don't waste too much time looking for them. I was lucky enough to be one of the few to get them.

As far as mileage goes... Me personally wouldn't buy anything over 200,000. But that's just me.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 AM

mileage doesnt matter as much as how the engine was maintained. in general, a good tell tale test is a compression test, buzz and cylinder contribution test. if those all pass and pass well then its a good bet you have a good motor. i also like to test cold start (i.e. sitting overnight), espicially if winter is around. i have nearly 300k and it runs like a champ.

the two biggest problems seem to stem from not changing or using the wrong oil, or improperly installing the air filter thus dusting the motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.