Changed to Synthetic...now turbo whistles more - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changed to Synthetic...now turbo whistles more

Is this common? I used the Amsoil Engine cleaner, and then put in Amsoil Diesel /Marine blend. There is definitely more whistle than before, with no noticeable performance change. I also installed a pyro, but its not leaking, nor does it sound like an exhaust leak, just a louder turbo. Still have the stock intake and exhaust on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
I never noticed anything, maybe you're foot is just in it more? lol

I asked about engine flush myself and a few people told me not to use anything but oil in the crankcase, because of the HPOP system in our PSDs and the possible crud/junk getting up to it from the cleaner. I wouldn't worry about it though, just my 2 cents.

I'll probably need another change to get it fully synthetic as the Rotella dino oil that was in the HPOP system diluted with the Amsoil that I stuck in a few months ago.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Banned

I wouldn't use the engine flush on any diesel. The product is made for gas engines. How many bottles did you use. if you have some still in the HPOP it wouldn't be a good thing at all.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to SgtStroked7.3
yeah i agree with dieselman, that engine flush might be diluting ur oil and that is what is making the turbo whine more. if ur oil is diluted with cleaner, it wont protect or cool the turbo like it should and u risk ruining the insides.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:35 AM

Well the bottle said to use the entire contents, which I did, and it also says to be used before switching to synthetic. It said to run the motor at high idle for 15 minutes, then drain the oil while its still hot, so thats what I did....
Old 07-01-2007, 09:36 AM

Another thing, my previous oil drain plug leaked, so I bought a new one, with a new copper washer, but it still leaks.....anyone have this issue? RTV the threads?
Old 07-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Banned

did you get a factory copper washer? I never have drain plug leaks. the bottle you used is for gas engines an is to be added with 7 qts capacities.

engine flush in diesel is not a good idea, especially psd with oil controlled injectors
Old 07-01-2007, 10:52 AM

Just my opinion here. I work on cars and trucks for a living and have been for about 12 yrs. I have never seen anything good come out of using an engine oil flush in anything. It will generally cause more problems than it will solve. I have had several vehicles come in that were flushed and now have an oil pressure problem. Usually find that the flush didn't remove, it just loosened the sludge and oil deposits. People drained the oil and followed the directions on the bottle. What I foud after they done this is all of that stuff that broke loose ended up in the pan and then stuck to the pick-up screen on the oil pump. Again, this is just my opinion and what I have seen. Just wanted to throw out a little bit of caution and my own personal experiences to ya. Good luck with getting it figured out.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAJOE105 View Post
Just my opinion here. I work on cars and trucks for a living and have been for about 12 yrs. I have never seen anything good come out of using an engine oil flush in anything. It will generally cause more problems than it will solve. I have had several vehicles come in that were flushed and now have an oil pressure problem. Usually find that the flush didn't remove, it just loosened the sludge and oil deposits. People drained the oil and followed the directions on the bottle. What I foud after they done this is all of that stuff that broke loose ended up in the pan and then stuck to the pick-up screen on the oil pump. Again, this is just my opinion and what I have seen. Just wanted to throw out a little bit of caution and my own personal experiences to ya. Good luck with getting it figured out.
I would generally agree with you 100% I had bad experience with flushes before.
But the product we are talking about is alone in the market place as far as flushes go, I have personally done over 80 vehicles with Amsoil flush and never had an issue with one, including diesels. generally diesels dont sludge up as bad as gasoline engines, I tend not to worry about doing the flush in them.
Now your information would be very valid in an engine that is extreemly dirty and I would have second thoughts of using a cleaner, what it would really need is the pan and screen removed for cleaning.

toast
Quote:
I used the Amsoil Engine cleaner, and then put in Amsoil Diesel /Marine blend. There is definitely more whistle than before,
a cleaner turbo is a happy turbo, did you notice any extra boost or quicker spool up? I have had great results with the 7.3 and Amsoil AME blend
Old 07-01-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman77 View Post

did you get a factory copper washer? I never have drain plug leaks.

This drain plug is quite irritating! I just verified that its at 28 ft/lbs. The plug, and copper washer were bought at autozone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootyoil View Post

a cleaner turbo is a happy turbo, did you notice any extra boost or quicker spool up? I have had great results with the 7.3 and Amsoil AME blend
No noticeable difference, just a little more whistle......I dont have a boost guage to tell you any difference though

Last edited by toast; 07-01-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.