help please, stuck on side of road!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 03:23 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
help please, stuck on side of road!!

Truck fired up this am got 150 feet from home and lost oil pressure. Will idle but wont move to get me out ot the darn ditch I had to roll in to get out of road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 04:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm a newbie, and this is going to sound stupid, but is there oil under the truck? Did you lose your oil cooler by any chance? Obviously if you don't have oil pressure the truck isn't going anywhere.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:25 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Pull the dipstick. Is there oil in it
Old 12-16-2010, 02:53 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

sorry, been at work all day. Truck has oil in it. From what I have had the chance to look at so far the hpop is almost empty. What feeds oil to hpop resivoir?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Your LPOP (Low Pres Oil Pump), the "engine oil pump", is what feeds the HPOP res.

So, if you loose engine oil pres the engine can't run and do damage to itself.

You gotta find out why your engine oil pres is low......
Old 12-16-2010, 03:55 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

wow, I just filled the hpop res up, tried to fire the truck up and nothing. checked the res again after turning the truck over a few times and was half empty. Is there any other thing to look at other than the lpop. Only reason I ask is because it is new with only 5k on it.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:30 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

I have been doing some reading and seems there is a check valve or something that might could be stuck open letting the oil go straight back to pan as lpop is pushing it in. Could this be a possibility? If so where exactly is this check valve?
Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yes, but, I don't see that as being your problem....

If that check fails what happens is, as the truck sits for days the res drains down and you get long cranking times to start because it has to refill.

You're going in the wrong direction here, you HAVE to get your LPOP to produce oil pres. It can keep-up with the drain-back if that was the problem.

You say the motor has only 5K on it since a rebuild? I'm thinking THAT'S the problem. Did you do it? If not, get it towed to whoever did because if it's something like the oil pump failed, or the pick-up cracked of fell off, this is a MAJOR job to fix.

By the book, the motor has to come out to remove the pan and get in there to fix it.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Check the feed line for the HPOP. I bet you have a busted o ring
Old 12-17-2010, 04:31 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Yes, but, I don't see that as being your problem....

You're going in the wrong direction here, you HAVE to get your LPOP to produce oil pres. It can keep-up with the drain-back if that was the problem.

You say the motor has only 5K on it since a rebuild? I'm thinking THAT'S the problem. Did you do it? If not, get it towed to whoever did because if it's something like the oil pump failed, or the pick-up cracked of fell off, this is a MAJOR job to fix.

By the book, the motor has to come out to remove the pan and get in there to fix it.
Ok, motor was rebuilt 5k back by a guy who has been doing powerstrokes only for many years and a diesel mechanic for over 35 plus years. I trust his work , maybe he got a lpop that just failed on me. This just sucks all around due to how far away from me his shoe is, 6 hours....

On a side note, I have been messing with it tonight doing some test. I unplugged the injector/gp valve cover plugs on both sides. Pulled the plug on res and had about half way from the day before. Put the plug in and jumped the solinoid on fenderwheel with a screwdriver. I then pulled the plug and saw that the oil level had gone down. I then jumped the relay with the plug removed and checked again to see all the oil had drained. I also heard a sucking sound like water going down a drain for a sec as the last of the oil in the res was used up. I was under the impression that with the injector connectors unplugged that the hpop wouldn't pull oil from the hpop? Am I dead wrong and or being told wrong? Builder just keeps saying he doesn't see how it could be the lpop, he has never seen one just up and go bad over night. He was talking about the ipr might could be stuck open, is this even possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.