Life expectancy of the 7.3L? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2006, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to jtomasik Send a message via Skype™ to jtomasik
Life expectancy of the 7.3L?

I've read and heard 200K+ isn't uncommon. Of course, a lot of variables contribute to the outcome. But, what have you guys heard or experienced?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 06:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtomasik
I've read and heard 200K+ isn't uncommon. Of course, a lot of variables contribute to the outcome. But, what have you guys heard or experienced?

Thanks in advance!
it all comes down to reg. maint... the motors are capable of running 300k+ easy, thats not to say you wont need to replace an injector or two or other bolt on items, but the motor itself will run forever, the truck will fall apart before the motor does. again maint. is the key.
my 92 f250 had almost 300k and still ran as good as new, still had good compression.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 099f350
it all comes down to reg. maint... the motors are capable of running 300k+ easy, thats not to say you wont need to replace an injector or two or other bolt on items, but the motor itself will run forever, the truck will fall apart before the motor does. again maint. is the key.
my 92 f250 had almost 300k and still ran as good as new, still had good compression.
great explanation man....
Old 05-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to jtomasik Send a message via Skype™ to jtomasik
Thanks for the info. I haven't taken delivery of the vehicle yet (it gets here the end of the week, and I'm like a kid waiting on his new bicycle), but I'm anxious to learn a lot about the engine. I'll have to browse many of the threads, but maybe I can ask a few here and get immediate info.

First, I used to be a mechanic, and I've worked on many different types of diesels from the old 5.7L GM's, Mercedes, Cummins (NT400's), Detriots, and Cats (3176's, 3208's, 3306's, 3406's, 3412's, even some 3500 and 3600 series engines). So, you can get pretty detailed and I'll understand (I think...hah hah).

What injector type is in this motor? Is it a unit injector, or is it just a fuel nozzle?

What is the replacement interval suggestion for those injectors/nozzles?

Although I've worked on many diesels, I've never owned any, before this one. What should I look for in the fuel? I only noticed one type of diesel offered. Are there actually different types? How about any additives?

Do any of the aftermarked bolt ons, like the airboxes or the fuel "chips", work well? I know fuel mileage will be one of my top priorities. I won't be hauling many heavy loads with the truck. Mostly, my son and I will use it to haul our dirtbikes (just two), and whatever riding gear we have. I will be operating the vehicle here in Colorado, at altitude. So, fuel mileage is really my top concern. Heavier hauling, such as trailers, will be rare. Oh, if those bolt ons come with added horsepower, I sure won't complain.

What fuel mileage should I expect with an unloaded F250 7.3L stock, mixed highway/city? I've talked to a bunch of owners, and the range has been everything from 13 (one person), into the high-teens/low 20's (most people), with one guy claiming 25.

I bought a truck with the 6 speed manual transmission. Are those reliable?

Also, I ran across a thread here where people were trying to locate their block heater. Is the block heater standard in 2000? If so, do you know where it's located?

What is the most efficient driving style for this engine? "Seat of the pants" sometimes can lie to a person. I remember that if a driver pushed a 3406B up on its turbo, his climbing speeds were lower than if he bounced it off the governor at around 1150 rpm's. Is this a motor I should short-shift on, or wait until it's up on the turbo? For best mpg? For best acceleration (I'll assume that will be on the turbo)? For best climbing?

Thanks in advance!

John T.

Last edited by jtomasik; 05-08-2006 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I`ve got 4 7.3`s. Three early models ( no turbo ) and one 96 model. All have over 200000 miles and run like new. These are work trucks, just used on a farm. They are very good engines, and I would buy one again. Mileage isn`t as good as some people claim but they have more than one driver and are burning my fuel ( heavy footed drivers )
Old 06-07-2006, 03:59 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
7.3 is second only to cummin's when talking about longevity. Of course once you get bit by the mod bug your motor's life is usually reduced lol.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I live in Couerd Alene, Idaho and im looking at buying a 1999 F-350 (7.3 of course) 6-speed with 261000 miles on it for $4000. it has new injectors and a new clutch. Is it worth going to look at in brighton, colorado? thanks
Old 01-05-2010, 04:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

that is just really good broke in i my self own 2 7.3's with well over 400K on them and one with almost 600 on it. the one with 600 on it we just put stage 3 sticks in it and run the hell out of it. only thing ive ever had to do to them was ipr valves and a few injectors. thats why the 600k one got new sticks she was missing a little. plus glow plugs also. i go around 100k on them and change them that cheap insurance.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought my 99 7.3 new, I have almost 200,000 on it. Engine still runs great. I have the third transmission, but I have had this truck loaded to the hilt and drive it over the Grapevine in California with major loads. This truck has performed so well for me. I would recommend it to anyone. If you are going to pull heavy loads like I have, a standard shift will probably give you more life that the automatic. I love my truck and so do my adult kids and adult grand children. Everyone in our family has used it. Strange how they always come to dad when they want to use the dependable truck and trailer. ha.
After almost 200K I am finding that my fuel mileage is way down so I am headed to a shop to have it tuned up, what ever that means with a diesel. If you are hoping to hear good things or bad things, you will probably get a little of both. I hope you have the same satisfaction out of yours that I have had with mine.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i bought my truck with 157k on it, didnt think twice, i have no doubt i'll get 300k minimum out of her unless something random and catastrophic happens(rare of course).. but you get the point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.