oil leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil leak

i have an oil leak that has been progressively worse for about a year now. I have looked and looked but i cannot find the source of the leak. i have however traced it from the top/back portion of the motor. this leak has left the entire backside of the motor saturated in oil as well as some of the tranny. anybody had any leaks like this?

i did call the ford house today and the guy there told me that 90 % of the time it is some seal in the hpop that get old and needs to be replaced. said it would cost 300... im not really ready to pay that especially if he is wrong. could use some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
hpop is possible but my bet is the ebpv actuator rod or the turbo pedestal orings... they wear and dump oil right down the back like you say, if you have the skill to remove the turbo its as expensive as a whole 15 bucks for the orings... lol.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 PM

i have the tools and the skill.. i dont know about time though. and im not familiar with the job and i dont want to screw something up.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:23 AM

Look at your oil filter and the thing it screw onto. There is a oil cooler that runs to the front of the motor from there, wipe it all off and start the truck and watch for oil to come out of the ends of that cooler. There are 4 o rings and 2 gaskets that you can buy that will fix that. You will also have to replace all oil and coolant. Google how to do it.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:56 AM

These things are bad about oil leaks,,,,,,,mine did too. Check the valley of the motor, between the cly. heads. If there's oil laying in the bottom of the valley, chances are is coming from the front of the motor, the oil pump, or the fuel bowl housing.

Mine was a bad oring on the drain plug of the oil pump. Slow drip when cold, and worse as the motor warmed up at speed. It covered the back of the block and drained down the back off the tranny/ convertor cover.

Gunk the entire motor down, douche her off good and start looking for the source. Do a search feature on here on ' oil leaks',,,, you'll find every possible leaky issue on these motors by doing so.

RB
Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Location: Just outside the Pearly Gates in the Appalachian foothills of NE TN
I've had the oil pump O-Ring go bad on me twice. About 3 yrs apart. No seepage. Just gave way and left a lake under the truck. So I think you're a bit on the lucky side. First time was (just) still under warranty. Second time cost me about $300.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

My bet is the O rings on the end of the high pressure oil lines. Get a flash light and a mirror on a stick and look for it. These O rings are known to go bad. They will fill the valley with oil and then drain down the back of the engine through the hole that is there. The other possible location is Turbo Pedestal O rings, but my bet is on the HPO lines.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:13 PM

cant be be turbo or hpop.. there isnt a drop in the valley. i took it a shop to have some pressure and smoke tests done. hopefully that will tell me where the leak is. ill go about fixing it from there. the guy did look at it while i was there, he showed me oil residue built up around the oil pan almost completely around the pan. damn i hope its not the pan seal. that would require pulling the motor.. EFF
Old 12-20-2010, 05:12 AM

There was a thread on here about oil leaks,,,(Imagine that??),,, but some guys were having fits with the oil dipstick tube connection to the pan, a faulty gasket again. There was an easy method of changing it out, you may wanna' do a search on it.

good luck, RB
Old 12-20-2010, 08:25 AM

i had oil from the bottom side of the lower coolant hose all the way back to the rear doors on the ex....no oil in the valley. Pulled the turbo out and started looking around and found the EBPV actuataor rod leaking ( gutted ebpv and pedestal = solved that ) could not tell if turbo orings were leaking but had to put new on while it was apart anyway. Underneath on the coolant hose was a mess and looked like the oil cooler as it was caked as well , but turned out the CPS was missing about 1/4 of the oring - got the new cps and it came with a spare oring ...new cps installed -old one in the glove box just in case. Got two weeks on it now with out a lick of marked territory anywhere i've parked so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.