ICP Mod??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question ICP Mod???

Ok, saw this write up on the ICP mod in the tech forums, but now I just have no clue what it is. Questions:

Where do I get those resistors? I understand how to install them, but not where to get them.

Which is bigger? I saw vids on youtube of 10k ones, then i saw a vid of a 1.5k one that made me go cross-eyed So is the 10 k or 1.5 k the one with more resistance?

What does this do to injectors? I know it increases the oil pressure, but these things are built solid. Is it a noticeable wear thing?

How badly does this affect fuel mileage? Obviously with more pressure and more fuel, mileage would drop. But how much?

I really want to do this since its so cheap and I love extra power but I just wanna make sure my mileage doesn't drop down to like 5 a gallon and my injectors don't wear out after 5k miles.

On a side note, does it affect cold starts at all?

Thanks y'all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Don't do it!!!! Do the supporting mods first, intake, exhaust, trans vb, then get some real tunes from a known tuner like DP, TW, PHP etc.....
Old 12-14-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
Don't do it!!!! Do the supporting mods first, intake, exhaust, trans vb, then get some real tunes from a known tuner like DP, TW, PHP etc.....
Whys that? Right now I'm sitting with stock intake (e99), 3 1/2 straight pipe (cat delete), wtf is a trans vb? and a power programmer III. I would LOVE to be able to afford custom tunes from DP tuner and a nice intake, but....

Why is it that I shouldn't do it yet?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 AM

the 1.5K has more resistance, it goes in the pigtail of the ICP, drops MPG on average 3-5, and only adds (been dyno proven) like 20-30ish hp. wont wear inj's more. Like NCH said, do a intake (DIY is cheap enough) and a better exh. like a 4in. or like I did straight pipe the stock one. the valve body (VB) is what your trans fluid flows through to make it shift/how it shifts/how hard it shifts. and up graded one will put the power down better (less driveline hp loss). if a custom tune is out then look into a superchips (like a 1705). they are the best "off the shelf" tuner/programmer/chip thing. on an E99 there are lots of things that can be done for more ez and cheap hp. like getting a junk yard 17* HPOP, and even a junk yard 99.5-03 turbo (if you can find one cheap or find one at all). any other questions just ask.

If it was me (and I did these already) do a DIY intake, straight pipe it. Then save up for a custom chip they are deff worth the exter $$ for if nothing else than the trans tuning.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannanw View Post
the 1.5K has more resistance, it goes in the pigtail of the ICP, drops MPG on average 3-5, and only adds (been dyno proven) like 20-30ish hp. wont wear inj's more. Like NCH said, do a intake (DIY is cheap enough) and a better exh. like a 4in. or like I did straight pipe the stock one. the valve body (VB) is what your trans fluid flows through to make it shift/how it shifts/how hard it shifts. and up graded one will put the power down better (less driveline hp loss). if a custom tune is out then look into a superchips (like a 1705). they are the best "off the shelf" tuner/programmer/chip thing. on an E99 there are lots of things that can be done for more ez and cheap hp. like getting a junk yard 17* HPOP, and even a junk yard 99.5-03 turbo (if you can find one cheap or find one at all). any other questions just ask.

If it was me (and I did these already) do a DIY intake, straight pipe it. Then save up for a custom chip they are deff worth the exter $$ for if nothing else than the trans tuning.

Ok, so basically the resistors don't add much at all? At least not worth the trade-off? The DIY intake I'm looking into, and I am straight-piped right now. The custom tune is only out of the question atm, want to get one with part of my tax return in the spring What's the big difference between the 99.5-03 17* HPOP and my ?15*? HPOP? And if I went and got a 99.5-03 turbo I would want to swap turbo wheels with mine right?

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:49 AM

yep, the turbo aint that much worth it unless you can pick one up for darn near free. and yea we have the WW, and also smaller turbo housing so we dont have surge. and the 17* puts out more oil to the inj's some say it is worth it some say it wasn't. but If I could find a junkyard that has one close to me then I would, then I would send it off to get it modded from termintaor to get that little extera oil. and you prolly know this but more oil to our inj's= more hp (to a point).

wow I just read my last posts and holly poop I cant spell .....but you get the idea.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
yep, the turbo aint that much worth it unless you can pick one up for darn near free. and yea we have the WW, and also smaller turbo housing so we dont have surge. and the 17* puts out more oil to the inj's some say it is worth it some say it wasn't. but If I could find a junkyard that has one close to me then I would, then I would send it off to get it modded from termintaor to get that little extera oil. and you prolly know this but more oil to our inj's= more hp (to a point).

wow I just read my last posts and holly poop I cant spell .....but you get the idea.
lol yeah I tend to look past spelling errors so I can get a free pass to mess up Turbo will be hard to come by round here unless one of my buddies with a roll-over has one cheap. The HPOP I'm not sure about. But if the whole idea is to get more oil to the injectors wouldn't a resistor do exactly what I want? At least in theory? Idk. I just wanna go do it, but not eff something up.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 AM

I did the 10K and 4.7 just cause I wanted to see what it would do and deff not worth it. If I where to do it again I would check the sale area and just wait long enough a TS or DP chip will come up for sale. er a cheaper one that is good is a superchips. do the 10k mod and see if you like it, if not its not like it cost alot and was hard to do
Old 12-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I did the 10K and 4.7 just cause I wanted to see what it would do and deff not worth it. If I where to do it again I would check the sale area and just wait long enough a TS or DP chip will come up for sale. er a cheaper one that is good is a superchips. do the 10k mod and see if you like it, if not its not like it cost alot and was hard to do
Ok cool beans. Might as well give it a shot and see whether or not I like it.

BTW, I freakin love this site. I can get on and within 3 hours know the answer to my question. That rocks.

And thanks again for all the info
Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 AM

yep np.....and also find more stuff to spend $$ on too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.