Installed XRF Ball Joints - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installed XRF Ball Joints

This past Saturday I spent the day installing new XRF ball joints on my truck. The PO had put Moogs on and when I bought the truck back in April I was pretty excited as I figured they would last a long time, but it was not to be as my passenger side upper was already shot and the lowers were starting to loosen up. After much research I decided to give XRF a shot, it was only $130.00 for all four joints. First of all let me say this was a bigger undertaking than I expected. It wasn't technically difficult, but just very laborious, it took me 2 hrs to get the drivers side knuckle off, the lower ball joint was rusted to the knuckle. The passenger side only took about 30 min. as I learned a little from doing the drivers side. Removing the ball joints was an absolute nightmare. My 1/2" electric impact did not have enough torque to drive the press and they were badly sized inside the knuckles. After about 3.5 hrs of PB Blaster, torch and hammer I was able to break them enough to press them out. I had put the new ball joints in the freezer overnight, added a light coating of anti-seize to them and they pressed in no problem. It was getting late and I had a duh moment and put the plastic thrust washer on the outside of the hub on the passenger side.....didn't realize it till I had everything bolted back together and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the snap ring back on the axle shaft.

In all it took me 10 hrs to complete the job. If I would have had a pickle fork, pneumatic hammer and pneumatic impact I think I could have done the job is less than 3 hrs. It only took me 45 minutes to have both sides stripped down to just the knuckle, the rest of the time was fighting to get things apart. After I had everything assembled I was concerned at first as the ball joints were VERY tight. It took considerable effort just to turn the knuckle. However, as soon as I took the truck for a drive I noticed how much lighter the steering was and that I could actually turn my wheels on pavement when stopped now, which I could not do with the Moog joints. Time will tell how the XRF joints hold up but for the moment I much happier with them than the Moog joints. The only thing I am not impressed with is the seals. The literature described them as have a "triple lip" seal, but they are just flat seals with no lips at all. Also the upper joint seal is shorter than the Moogs were which leaves the top of the seal exposed since it is not contacting the bottom of the knuckle. I can't decide if I like that or not, it seems to me like every time I grease them I will just pop that seal right off. I took to pictures of the new joints installed, sorry for the bad quality, camera phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Installed XRF Ball Joints-img00548-20101213-1554.jpg   Installed XRF Ball Joints-img00549-20101213-1554.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Nice - good work ! This is something I'll be doing in the next 2 months or so..
Old 12-13-2010, 05:35 PM

Will be interesting to see if they hold up, these trucks like to eat ball joints!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Let us know how they hold up. I would have used Moog but that's me. I can see why you wanted to try another brand. I have seen lot's of ball joints fail early and a good portion failed because of the installation. People beat the heck out of them trying to get them in and they wonder why they didn't last longer. When doing the Ball Joints you really need to have the right tools or take it to somebody who does.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:48 AM

I almost installed Moog joints again, but I have had three Dodge trucks before this and everywhere I've read on the Dodge Forums people have trouble with Moog...even the "problem solver" joints. Honestly after taking out the Moogs and comparing them to XRF joints, the XRF "look" superior. I don't like how the Moog ball isn't fully encapsulated and can start wearing out fast if the joint doesn't have any grease. The XRF joints use Acelate which is an almost indestructible plastic that remains durable under high heat, friction and has an almost teflon like surface to it. We'll see, I drive a lot of forest service roads in the spring/summer/fall so I'll report back in about 6 months.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

Please post back and let us know. Like I said many of the BJ problems come from someone who didn't know what the hell they were doing on the install and beat the crap out of them to get them installed. With a engine that weighs in just under 1,000lbs the Moog joints have proven themselves on the PSD multiple times and is the only joint I recommend. But I am always open to something new, so let us know how they do.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
I almost installed Moog joints again, but I have had three Dodge trucks before this and everywhere I've read on the Dodge Forums people have trouble with Moog...even the "problem solver" joints. Honestly after taking out the Moogs and comparing them to XRF joints, the XRF "look" superior. I don't like how the Moog ball isn't fully encapsulated and can start wearing out fast if the joint doesn't have any grease. The XRF joints use Acelate which is an almost indestructible plastic that remains durable under high heat, friction and has an almost teflon like surface to it. We'll see, I drive a lot of forest service roads in the spring/summer/fall so I'll report back in about 6 months.
Any update on how the truck is doing? Almost a year later, still holding up?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:03 PM

I was just getting ready to post an update this week!

So after a year and 20,000 miles I am happy to report that they are still rock solid and the seals are holding up perfectly. I beat the crud out of them this summer and over 100 miles of rough 4x roads during hunting. Not sure what else to say, but so far so good!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry to drag this one up from the dead, but I've just ordered these bj's for my '03 ex 7.3 and will be installing them this week. Just looking for an update on how yours held up.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 AM

I have about 10k on mine so far, no issues. But thats not a whole lot. Now let me hit 150k, and no issues, I'll be happy. Also had my brother install them on his truck too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.