Replacing injectors in a stagnant motor. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Arrow Replacing injectors in a stagnant motor.

I am sort of rebuilding a motor that has been sitting for a while. I am replacing the injectors in it because the PO said that when it was still in the truck, it needed injectors.
I drained the fuel rails before I pulled the injectors but there was still some oil and fuel that ran down into the cylinders. How do I purge that out so I dont get hydrolocked.
Also when I pulled the old injectors out of the heads, the fuel had varnished up a bit and sort of looks a little brown and rusty. Do I need to clean out the holes where the injectors go into? And how do I do it?

Thanks guys.
-Schnot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
As far as the little bit of fuel and oil that went into the cylinders pull the glow plugs and turn the motor over by hand a few times. The rest will just soak thru past the rings without issue.

To the injector bores, Depending on how bad they are I would just use a scotchbrite pad and clean them up lightly.

Some discoloration is normal. "rust" concerns me... How long was this motor "sitting" and have you done a compression check or anything in the mean time?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:21 PM

I havnt done a compression or leakdown test on it but I guess I probably should. I dont know how long it was sitting because my grandad brought it home from a guy in indiana and he lost the number to the guy he bought it from. And im not totally sure that it is rust. Its a cruddy brown color with a strong smell of paint thinner or wood stain so id say its probably just varnished up. I will give the scotch brite pad a try as I put new o-rings on the injectors and dont want them to get damaged when I put them into the heads.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:22 PM

How do you do a compression check on these motors? I have only ever done it on small gas motors with spark plugs.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You need a kit that has a POWERSTROKE glow plug adapter.

Most do not so be prepared.

Remove all the glow plugs, Install your injectors and turn the motor over. You should see about 300-350psi on a motor by turning it over by hand like that.

If you can hook it to a starter somehow 350+ is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.