Bought a stock 2000 F350, 118k, with 7.3... ANY IDEAS? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bought a stock 2000 F350, 118k, with 7.3... ANY IDEAS?

Had a 2005 F250 XLT, super cab, long bed, with a 5.4. Bought it with 10k for $15K off sticker when gas was 4.15/gallon. Sold it in June of '10. Miss having a truck, so I'm flying to Florida on Dec 17 to get one.

Bought a 2000 F350, regular cab, long bed, with 118k. Has the 7.3 powerstroke. Its my weekend truck, ie: minimal towing (heaviest ever would be a skidsteer), sort of a work truck for small landscaping jobs. I want to get:
1) Turbo back exhaust - thinking MBRP stainless because of the salt up here ($500?)

2) DP Tuner - econo, tow, race - but which hp for each? F5 or F6?

3) Intake - Diy Tymar any good? How to would be helpful?

Any input would be great?

Also, its my first diesel, who wants to give me the run down on maintenance? Oil every 5? Fuel Filter every 10-15? Trans how often? Cold start help (can plug it in) but checking glow plugs? Other plugs?
Anything would be helpful. Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Bought a stock 2000 F350, 118k, with 7.3... ANY IDEAS?-img00125-20091025-1608.jpg   Bought a stock 2000 F350, 118k, with 7.3... ANY IDEAS?-rbhttphandler.jpg   Bought a stock 2000 F350, 118k, with 7.3... ANY IDEAS?-rbhttphandler2.jpg   Bought a stock 2000 F350, 118k, with 7.3... ANY IDEAS?-img00026-20100508-1710.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

1) MPRB is about the best there is, it is definitely what I will be purchasing in the near future.

2) If I were you I would look into getting a tony wildman chip, I have yet to hear a bad word about his stuff!!

3) The tymar intake is good up to 500 hp (I think) so you cant go wrong with that bang for your buck

I change my oil every 5k with rotella 5w-40 synthetic and change the fuel filter every other oil change. Im not sure on tranny. I am sure other guys will chime in, welcome to the board!!
Old 12-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Bought a 2000 F350, regular cab, long bed, with 118k. Has the 7.3 powerstroke.
Congrats! Just made the best decision you'll make in a while!
Funny how you got a red, single cab, long bed.....If i could go back and re-buy my truck that's the exact configuration I'd get lol.

Quote:
1) Turbo back exhaust - thinking MBRP stainless because of the salt up here ($500?)
You're stock exhaust is 3.5" with a muffler. If i were you, save yourself some $$$ and buy yourself this.......

99-03 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel Stock Muffler Delete Pipe

Installed for $40 and never looked back. You and your truck aren't going to feel the difference between a 3.5" pipe and a 4" pipe anyways. Without a bigger turbo (or two....or three) you wont be pushing enough air to constitute a 4" or 5" pipe.

Quote:
2) DP Tuner - econo, tow, race - but which hp for each? F5 or F6?
I myself have had two tuners, Tony Wildman then Diesel Innovations. Both of which were great. Tony's customer service isn't the best so i switched to DI. My DI tuning was as expected.....kick @$$!!!

If you want to keep it simple though, Superchips Cortex is a nice choice. I'll be picking one up in the coming months.....

Quote:
3) Intake - Diy Tymar any good? How to would be helpful?
I've done the DIY intake and have never looked back. It sucks more air then my truck will ever need. Riff Raff diesel sells a kit online that includes everything so you don't have to run around looking for it....

Riffraff Diesel: RDP 6637 Filter Kit

Best....kit.....ever!!

Have fun!!
Old 12-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Definately recommend the DIY tymar filter, I put my truck back to stock just to see the difference and you wouldnt believe it and for $30 you cant beat it. Also highly recommend DP because of the customer service and quality of products, personally I have highe idle, 60tow,60econ,80econ,120race...for you I would recommend 40 or 60 tow and definately the 80econ is probably one the all time favorites. If you are going to just put filter,exhaust, and chip get the F5, its cheaper and the difference between the 2 are that the F6 doesnt need to be taken out and sent back in to get reflashed, which doesnt matter if you arent going to be doing major overhauls after you buy the chip, me I have the F5. Trans you never know, drop the pan look for anything out of the normal check fluid levels. I run Rotella 15w-40 changed every 5k miles, if you are in a cold weather climate recommend 5w-40 i regret changing big time truck just doesnt like to start with the thicker oil since its been around 15degrees here at night...anything i missed im sorry trying to get it all in one nice package for you to read, and you wont regret buying a 7.3L also for the GPR and alot of other things a multimeter is a great tool to have around, best $15 ive ever spent at autozone, that can help diagnose alot of problems

Last edited by dieselburner21; 12-12-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:04 AM

Stock exhaust, muffler delete, DIY intake/6637 filter, EGT, boost, Trans temp gauges, and DP tuner, cost for all was about $800 total, run the 80 econ tune 99% of the time, use the Decel often, and 40hp tow once in a while.

You could get the SS exhaust, but you don't 'need' it... but I also like the idea of SS pipe, no rust. However, mine is in great shape, so it will be years before i can justify the new one.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You guys are awesome. I pick the truck up friday in florida, and am driving it back to PA. I will let you know how I like it and what i plan to do first. Thanks guys!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey guys, sorry it's been awhile. Love the truck with the exception of the nice dent on the fender and passenger door that I had no idea about. It needed a few things at inspection so that send me back just about all the money I was going to put into the truck, ($1700).

In time I will do all of those things. Anything I should look for when getting its first oil change, etc?
Old 01-25-2011, 05:18 PM

1.Check air filter (mine looked like it hadnt been changed at all since the truck was built)
2. Check all fluid levels and probably want to change all the filters so that you know when everthing was for sure changed
Old 01-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner21 View Post
1.Check air filter (mine looked like it hadnt been changed at all since the truck was built)
2. Check all fluid levels and probably want to change all the filters so that you know when everthing was for sure changed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.