A Couple Smalls Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 06:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A Couple Smalls Issues

Well I finally was able to get my truck in the shop and up on the jack stands to go through everything. I changed my oil, oil filter, fuel filter, finally found my plug in, and changed the fuel valve that had been leaking. It was a very successful evening in the shop. I still have a few problems though that I need help with from you guys.

1) How in the world do I get the dirty air filter light off? It is driving me nuts but I really have no clue how to get it to turn off.

2) There seems to be a banging going on under the truck. It sounds like it is coming from under the drivers side floor pan but I am not sure. It only makes the noise going over certain bumps but it is one of those things I definitely want to get taken care of. I assume its a bushing that went out but I wanted your opinions.

3) Does anyone know where I can get the bracket that holds on the piece of plastic that sits over the fuel filter. I took mine off last night and the bolts broke with them.

4) Do the factory ball joints come with grease zerks (spelling?)? I noticed the upper ball joints on both sides were greasable and for some reason I was thinking they were sealed.

I think that is all for now, haha!! Thanks everyone for the help and for an awesome website!!
Attached Thumbnails
A Couple Smalls Issues-wtf.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 PM

Any help anyone?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to tvmechanic21 Send a message via Skype™ to tvmechanic21
#1 You should be able to push the end of the dirty filter sensor and re-set it. Or unplug it and the light should go off.

#2 WAG factor>>> possible bushings on your torsion bar, shock, or spring warn slap out. (WAG Factor = Wild A$$ Guess) LOL

#3 You should be able to go to your local hardware store and get 1/4 inch or 5/16 inch bolts, grind your old one's off and drill the bracket to fit the bolts , screw a nut down to the bracket to hold your new bolts in place. Make sure your bolts are long enough to go through the bracket, nut, and plastic piece. get extra nuts to hold the plastic piece in place,..... would prolly use a nylon lock nut for the top.

#4 I have "No Clue" for #4, sorry buddy.

I hope this helps ya
Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
As, for #2, you should definitely check this out before something bad happens! Maybe pull the ft driveshaft to examine it and even drive around a bit to see it the noise's still there.

Could be a bunch of stuff, sway bar links? mounts? Front End parts? Ya gotta dig-into it a bit.

As for #4, my '02 has a plug in the upper that I remove and insert a 90* angle zerk into to grease. BUT you can't leave it there or the U-Joint will shear it off.

So, I put the plug back each time. It's tricky at first, but I've gotten pretty good at it

The lowers zerk fittings should be obvious unless they've been removed by rocks or something....
Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Take the sensor off and push on the base of it, this will reset it, better yet, leave it unplugged it is worthless.
The noise is either ball joints or sway bar end links. My guess is the end links. You can buy new bushing from Energy Suspension, but they are a plain to replace. I just bought two new end links and 10 min and they were on and problem solved.
The factory BJ's don't have zerk fittings, this is why they fail so often. When they go bad replace with Moog Joints. If yours has zerk fittings, use them.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:58 AM

Thanks for all the help guys!! The reason I asked about the ball joints is because mine have grease fittings on the uppers so i was trying to decide if they had been replaced. I unplugged the air filter sensor and the light is still on, what's up with that haha!! I am about 99% sure it is my sway bar end links so i will get it taken care of. You guys are great!!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 AM

Also, nchornet did you order your bushings directly from energy? Which bushings did you get?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

No I got the complete end link with the bushings alread in them. Trying to get the old ones out is a huge PIA I didn't have time to mess with it so I just slapped two new end links on. On the air filter sensor you need to push on the bottom of the thing to reset it. I think it is a yellow base on the clear plastic housing.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:08 PM

Awesome, I will definitely be swapping them out in the near future. I will have to give it another try next time I am screwing around with my truck and see if I can get the light to go off.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:26 AM

Hey nchornet I am having a heck of a time finding the sway bar link with the energy suspension bushings in it. Do you have a direct link or a # I can call to get them ordered? I am hoping to get it taken care of in the very near future!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.