check engine light question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
check engine light question

As a new diesel owner, you guys have been a big help to me, saved me a few hundred with info about doing my own glow plugs. Thanks for that. This morning on the way to work, my check engine light came on while idling at a long stoplight. At the same time the truck started to vibrate or rock like maybe a cylinder was missing. When I stepped on it a little to drive away, the light went off, and things smoothed out. Next stop, light back on, and idling rough and little slower than normal. Accelerated a little harder to see if it would clear up, sounded normal, light flashed out for a second or two and then came back on. It seems to run better when I am getting into the throttle, and then get rougher as I slow down, and is rough when it hits idle.

Long story, my question is, should I take it straight to a mechanic at lunch, or am I safe to pick up the kids after school (40 miles round trip, 1/2 on interstate) and see if I can get it to a mechanic Saturday or Monday morning? I don't want to make things worse, and know with my old jeep, I would drive to get the kids and then home, then work on it, but with the wifes newer focus svt, it would go straight to a mechanic for fear of worse damage. I don't have a code reader, so I have no idea what codes it is throwing. Anyone want to recommend a good shop in the Boise / Meridian Idaho area? I used a guy in Emmet to change my HPOP right after I bought the the truck, but that is a bit of a drive, especially if it is not running right.

Last question, My neighbor is a snap on dealer, and will usually read the codes for me, how far into this thing can I dive in my garage with an average tool set? it took me 7 hours to do the glowplugs, but the second side went way faster after learning a few things on the first side. I bet it took me 40-50 minutes to get that back bolt out on the first side. and getting the tubes (?) off the turbo was a long process also, could not budge them at first, finally slipped a plastic bicycle tire tool in and moved it around to break the seal between rubber and metal.

Thanks
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you are prolly fine to drive the kids home, almost (other will prolly chime in to) like a map sensor issue, or a inj starting to go. Have it scanned and see what is causing it. and if you have a goon enough tool set (and knowadge) you can do alot. these trucks, one you get to know them aint that bad, and seeing as you did GP's I would check that all the conections that you undid/redid are good and tight. if it was me I would scann it and if you cant figure it out come on back and tell us and I would bet at least one person on here has had the same issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.