Howdy, New owner here.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-09-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
okibono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Howdy, New owner here....

Just wanted to check in here first. I am the new owner of a 2000 F-250 XLT Super Crew 7.3, and I love it. I picked it up from the owner w/ 201k miles on it. Carfax was clean, and it is in really clean shape.

I have general car knowledge, including turbos, but am new to these diesels. I know they replaced the CPS about 50 k ago, and they had service records of the truck. The truck appears to be stock with exception of an aftermarket exhaust.

Basically, what I would like to know is: What type of problem areas should I look for and address? What type of maintenance schedule should I create? Anything else you folks would like to add would be greatly appreciated. I've dug around here, and the HPOP, the CPS, and the tranny cooler appears to be some of the problem areas, but I'm sure there are more...

TIA...
okibono is offline  
post #2 of 12 Old 12-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Buffalo444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Carlyle, IL
Posts: 2,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by okibono View Post
Just wanted to check in here first. I am the new owner of a 2000 F-250 XLT Super Crew 7.3, and I love it. I picked it up from the owner w/ 201k miles on it. Carfax was clean, and it is in really clean shape.

I have general car knowledge, including turbos, but am new to these diesels. I know they replaced the CPS about 50 k ago, and they had service records of the truck. The truck appears to be stock with exception of an aftermarket exhaust.

Basically, what I would like to know is: What type of problem areas should I look for and address? What type of maintenance schedule should I create? Anything else you folks would like to add would be greatly appreciated. I've dug around here, and the HPOP, the CPS, and the tranny cooler appears to be some of the problem areas, but I'm sure there are more...

TIA...
Grab some popcorn, settle in, and watch some of these videos... most of his stuff is pretty good.
YouTube - powerstrokehelp's Channel
Buffalo444 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 12-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Cjcross22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cookeville, TN
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

-Cory

Y2K F250 XLT 7.3L ECSB SRW ZF6 4x4



Cjcross22 is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
ridiculously_necessary's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 4,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews


i agree with Buffalo, that is a great place to start. soem of the stuff he does isnt really necessary, but those vids are educational.

oil changes are critical with 7.3's the hpop isnt realyl much a problem area, they are pretty good. but they are machines and can have trouble like anything else. check your startign and charging systems, glows, glow relay, batteries, alt. to start with, many people doe the DIY 6637 intake upgrade (check the tech section), check your turbo for play and damage, check the turbo boots for cracks or leaks, etc. not much to these trucks if they are runnign well.

-Matt

Late 99 (2/99) Black F250, CC LB 4x4 Lariat 214k. All Stock for the moment...

1995 PSD, ext cab, one wheel wonder , 297k miles, 30k on wvo. totaled 5/8/11 RIP This truck is for sale as a parts truck (Jason is about to receive forged rods, and drop kick his PMR's)
DB high torque starter
DIY 6637
Marinco Mod
DIY Electric fuel w/ wvo conversion

"A clean house is a sign of a mis-lead life."
ridiculously_necessary is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 12-10-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
okibono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
real good stuff. I will dive into that channel tonight...thanks for the welcome folks...

Are there oem style replacement turbos out there? I have Borg Warner S400 hanging around from another project...

Thanks ya'll...
okibono is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 12-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
sinnful_46534's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Knox,IN
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Welcome to the org, great group of people here that are very helpful. Not to Hijack the thread but thanks to the youtube link. Very helpful.
sinnful_46534 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 12-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Buffalo444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Carlyle, IL
Posts: 2,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by okibono View Post
real good stuff. I will dive into that channel tonight...thanks for the welcome folks...

Are there oem style replacement turbos out there? I have Borg Warner S400 hanging around from another project...

Thanks ya'll...
You're welcome. There are oem style replacements out there, but idr where I've seen them. There's a ton you can do turbo wise so check the tech files and you may come up with something also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnful_46534 View Post
Welcome to the org, great group of people here that are very helpful. Not to Hijack the thread but thanks to the youtube link. Very helpful.
You're also welcome!
Buffalo444 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 12-13-2010, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
okibono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wow, that tech channel was very helpful.

Ridiculous, you mentioned some of that stuff isn't necessary. What were you speaking of in specific?

Thanks again...
okibono is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 12-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Riverside/Norco, Ca
Posts: 3,771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by okibono View Post
wow, that tech channel was very helpful.

Ridiculous, you mentioned some of that stuff isn't necessary. What were you speaking of in specific?

Thanks again...
changing oil in the HPOP! so pointless and a waste of time dont bother..
Dietoremain is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 12-13-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
okibono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for that feedback... So the oil does circulate up there? He kinda had me sold on the appearance of the oil he pumped outta there..
okibono is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome