Dumb question about gvw - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dumb question about gvw

ok so this may sound dumb but, what exactly is gross vehicle weight? is it the weight of the truck plus a load equalling the max legal weight? or is it the weight the truck call haul. i know towing and hauling are two different ratings. never really understood all the gvw stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

your gvw is the weight of the vehicle but your gvwr is going to be the maximum legal weight of the vehicle loaded, that includes the weight of the vehicle and cargo / tongue weight if hauling a trailer.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:42 PM

thanks for the info. and tongue weight is also determined on your trailer hitch rating too right? how do you determine how big of a trailer you can pull either conventional or 5th wheel, or my tow rating?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 PM

It's like this. You have four major weight ratings. Two of which come into play on an F250.

GVWR is the max amount that the four wheels on the truck can weigh. So, if you have an f250 that weighs 7,000lbs dry, you can add 1800lbs of extra weight to the truck (cargo, passengers, fuel, and the force from the trailer pin weight). Because the GVWR of an f250 is 8800lbs.

GCWR is the maximum amount that the truck and its trailer can weigh. On an F250 this is 20,000 lbs. GCWR-GVWR=MAX TRAILER WEIGHT (11,200lbs)

The other two ratings are axle ratings. You wont really have to worry about these on a 3/4 ton truck. On a gooseneck trailer pin weight runs between 14% and 20% of the trailer weight, so if you have the same 7000 lb truck, the most your pin weight can be is 1800lbs - (cargo, passengers, fuel). So realisticly lets say 1400 lbs. A 1400lb pin weight is about a 9500lb trailer.

On a 3/4 ton you're going to hit the GVWR long before any other rating on the truck, ESPECIALLY with a diesel.

I think I'm blabbing now... if you have questions let me know... Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by partsguy84823; 12-09-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I dont know the answer to your question but i'll tell you these trucks will move alot more than they're rated too, just do it smart and be careful about it. thats all i gotta say.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:04 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy84823 View Post
It's like this. You have four major weight ratings. Two of which come into play on an F250.

GVWR is the max amount that the four wheels on the truck can weigh. So, if you have an f250 that weighs 7,000lbs dry, you can add 1800lbs of extra weight to the truck (cargo, passengers, fuel, and the force from the trailer pin weight). Because the GVWR of an f250 is 8800lbs.

GCWR is the maximum amount that the truck and its trailer can weigh. On an F250 this is 20,000 lbs. GCWR-GVWR=MAX TRAILER WEIGHT (11,200lbs)

The other two ratings are axle ratings. You wont really have to worry about these on a 3/4 ton truck. On a gooseneck trailer pin weight runs between 14% and 20% of the trailer weight, so if you have the same 7000 lb truck, the most your pin weight can be is 1800lbs - (cargo, passengers, fuel). So realisticly lets say 1400 lbs. A 1400lb pin weight is about a 9500lb trailer.

On a 3/4 ton you're going to hit the GVWR long before any other rating on the truck, ESPECIALLY with a diesel.

I think I'm blabbing now... if you have questions let me know... Sorry for the long post.
What he said is absolutely correct concerning the terminology although my GVWR is 10,000 lbs on my truck.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
What he said is absolutely correct concerning the terminology although my GVWR is 10,000 lbs on my truck.
I just looked up the GVWRs for the super duty. I had no idea they had such a spread. It looks like an f250 (SD) can be anywhere from 8,800 up to 10,000 depending on configuration. (Engine, Cab, Drive)

Single wheel f350s go from 10,100 to 11,500

Dual Wheel f250s go from 11,800 to 13,000

PS I looked these up for a 2005.

My '03 CCSB 2wd 7.3 is sticker rated at 8,800...

Either way the concepts still apply.

Last edited by partsguy84823; 12-10-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy84823 View Post
I just looked up the GVWRs for the super duty. I had no idea they had such a spread. It looks like an f250 (SD) can be anywhere from 8,800 up to 10,000 depending on configuration. (Engine, Cab, Drive)

Single wheel f350s go from 10,100 to 11,500

Dual Wheel f250s go from 11,800 to 13,000

PS I looked these up for a 2005.

My '03 CCSB 2wd 7.3 is sticker rated at 8,800...

Either way the concepts still apply.
I agree completely, just wanted to point out that other numbers might vary. I guess I would also point out that these are HUGELY important to insurance companies during a collision. If you are over any of these numbers, the police are likely to find you at fault (even if you weren't) and the insurance company will be able to get out of covering your claim. And since you would be at fault, you would have to cover the cost of the other folks involved in the accident OUT OF POCKET...
Old 12-10-2010, 06:30 AM

^ well put by all, cab chassis trucks generally are a bit higher, like mine is 12,500.........thus (at least in Co) means I have to stay on truck roughts but most of the time I dont.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
I agree completely, just wanted to point out that other numbers might vary. I guess I would also point out that these are HUGELY important to insurance companies during a collision. If you are over any of these numbers, the police are likely to find you at fault (even if you weren't) and the insurance company will be able to get out of covering your claim. And since you would be at fault, you would have to cover the cost of the other folks involved in the accident OUT OF POCKET...
From a personal auto insurance perspective this is incorrect. I could strap 30k to the back of my 250 and if I can't stop and hit 5 cars everything is covered. Assuming I am not carrying goods for money, ie I should have a business/commercial policy. Not to derail the thread just wanted to point out maybe a misconception. Commercial may be another story, I don't handle those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.