Dumb question about gvw - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Washington
Posts: 212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dumb question about gvw

ok so this may sound dumb but, what exactly is gross vehicle weight? is it the weight of the truck plus a load equalling the max legal weight? or is it the weight the truck call haul. i know towing and hauling are two different ratings. never really understood all the gvw stuff.

2000 F250 SD ex cab long bed
6spd trans
south bend 350hp-750lb/ft clutch
6 in lift with 37in Km2 BFG
4in mbrp turbo back single exhaust
TS 6 Pos Chip
DIY intake
SOON TO COME
new injectors
some sort of turbo upgrade
Sullie250 is offline  
post #2 of 16 Old 12-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Serving Our Country!
 
bigred_stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 354
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
your gvw is the weight of the vehicle but your gvwr is going to be the maximum legal weight of the vehicle loaded, that includes the weight of the vehicle and cargo / tongue weight if hauling a trailer.

2011 F-250 6.7L FX4 Lariat CCSB Tuxedo Black, Black Leather, 6" Lift w/ 37" Nitto trail grapplers 20" XD rims.
bigred_stroker is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 12-09-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Washington
Posts: 212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thanks for the info. and tongue weight is also determined on your trailer hitch rating too right? how do you determine how big of a trailer you can pull either conventional or 5th wheel, or my tow rating?

2000 F250 SD ex cab long bed
6spd trans
south bend 350hp-750lb/ft clutch
6 in lift with 37in Km2 BFG
4in mbrp turbo back single exhaust
TS 6 Pos Chip
DIY intake
SOON TO COME
new injectors
some sort of turbo upgrade
Sullie250 is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
partsguy84823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 289
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's like this. You have four major weight ratings. Two of which come into play on an F250.

GVWR is the max amount that the four wheels on the truck can weigh. So, if you have an f250 that weighs 7,000lbs dry, you can add 1800lbs of extra weight to the truck (cargo, passengers, fuel, and the force from the trailer pin weight). Because the GVWR of an f250 is 8800lbs.

GCWR is the maximum amount that the truck and its trailer can weigh. On an F250 this is 20,000 lbs. GCWR-GVWR=MAX TRAILER WEIGHT (11,200lbs)

The other two ratings are axle ratings. You wont really have to worry about these on a 3/4 ton truck. On a gooseneck trailer pin weight runs between 14% and 20% of the trailer weight, so if you have the same 7000 lb truck, the most your pin weight can be is 1800lbs - (cargo, passengers, fuel). So realisticly lets say 1400 lbs. A 1400lb pin weight is about a 9500lb trailer.

On a 3/4 ton you're going to hit the GVWR long before any other rating on the truck, ESPECIALLY with a diesel.

I think I'm blabbing now... if you have questions let me know... Sorry for the long post.

Chris
T.A.P.S Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e99f2506p View Post
I can't imagine we'd be welcome at hooters very long if there was a bunch of half drunk guys in the back sitting around whistling and humming trying to make the perfect 7.3 turbo noise...
2003 F250 XLT-Sport(7.3) 4x2 CCSB - Sonic Blue
  • AEM Brute Force Intake
  • 4" Magnaflow Turbo Back Exhaust
  • Gloshift 3in1
  • SuperChips MAX MICRO

Last edited by partsguy84823; 12-09-2010 at 08:29 PM.
partsguy84823 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Riverside/Norco, Ca
Posts: 3,771
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I dont know the answer to your question but i'll tell you these trucks will move alot more than they're rated too, just do it smart and be careful about it. thats all i gotta say.
Dietoremain is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 12-10-2010, 05:04 AM
Slacker



 
Evil Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Posts: 18,492
Thanks: 16
Thanked 222 Times in 193 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy84823 View Post
It's like this. You have four major weight ratings. Two of which come into play on an F250.

GVWR is the max amount that the four wheels on the truck can weigh. So, if you have an f250 that weighs 7,000lbs dry, you can add 1800lbs of extra weight to the truck (cargo, passengers, fuel, and the force from the trailer pin weight). Because the GVWR of an f250 is 8800lbs.

GCWR is the maximum amount that the truck and its trailer can weigh. On an F250 this is 20,000 lbs. GCWR-GVWR=MAX TRAILER WEIGHT (11,200lbs)

The other two ratings are axle ratings. You wont really have to worry about these on a 3/4 ton truck. On a gooseneck trailer pin weight runs between 14% and 20% of the trailer weight, so if you have the same 7000 lb truck, the most your pin weight can be is 1800lbs - (cargo, passengers, fuel). So realisticly lets say 1400 lbs. A 1400lb pin weight is about a 9500lb trailer.

On a 3/4 ton you're going to hit the GVWR long before any other rating on the truck, ESPECIALLY with a diesel.

I think I'm blabbing now... if you have questions let me know... Sorry for the long post.
What he said is absolutely correct concerning the terminology although my GVWR is 10,000 lbs on my truck.

Shawn Carlson
EvilEye@powerstroke.org

Proud Navy Vet
2005 F250, CCSB, 6.0 PSD, FX4 (The Sweet Unit is white)
2008 F350, CCLB, 6.4 PSD (Brad-the wife's truck is black)




Engine Mods:
Fluidampr
CCV Reroute (Reinstated)
4" MBRP Exhaust
MTW Stage 1 Turbo
Bulletproof 53V FICM
BulletProof EGR Cooler
BulletProof Water Pump
Riff Raff Intercooler Boots
Gogo Diesel Direct Drive Solenoid
BulletProof All-Aluminum Radiator
BulletProof All-Aluminum Intercooler
BulletProof Oil Cooler System w/ Bypass Filter
SCT w/ Custom Tunes (TSD, DJ's, Innovative, Gearhead, QuickTricks)

Exterior Mods:
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
Icon Adjustable Trac Bar
Firestone RideRite Air Bags
BDS Dual Steering Stabilizer
Aluminum Finned Differential Cover
Reese 16k Manual Slider 5th Wheel Hitch
Icon 2.5" Leveling Kit w/ F-350 rear blocks
20" BMF Novakanes wrapped in 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers
Evil Eye is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 12-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
partsguy84823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 289
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
What he said is absolutely correct concerning the terminology although my GVWR is 10,000 lbs on my truck.
I just looked up the GVWRs for the super duty. I had no idea they had such a spread. It looks like an f250 (SD) can be anywhere from 8,800 up to 10,000 depending on configuration. (Engine, Cab, Drive)

Single wheel f350s go from 10,100 to 11,500

Dual Wheel f250s go from 11,800 to 13,000

PS I looked these up for a 2005.

My '03 CCSB 2wd 7.3 is sticker rated at 8,800...

Either way the concepts still apply.

Chris
T.A.P.S Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e99f2506p View Post
I can't imagine we'd be welcome at hooters very long if there was a bunch of half drunk guys in the back sitting around whistling and humming trying to make the perfect 7.3 turbo noise...
2003 F250 XLT-Sport(7.3) 4x2 CCSB - Sonic Blue
  • AEM Brute Force Intake
  • 4" Magnaflow Turbo Back Exhaust
  • Gloshift 3in1
  • SuperChips MAX MICRO

Last edited by partsguy84823; 12-10-2010 at 05:38 AM.
partsguy84823 is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 12-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Slacker



 
Evil Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Posts: 18,492
Thanks: 16
Thanked 222 Times in 193 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy84823 View Post
I just looked up the GVWRs for the super duty. I had no idea they had such a spread. It looks like an f250 (SD) can be anywhere from 8,800 up to 10,000 depending on configuration. (Engine, Cab, Drive)

Single wheel f350s go from 10,100 to 11,500

Dual Wheel f250s go from 11,800 to 13,000

PS I looked these up for a 2005.

My '03 CCSB 2wd 7.3 is sticker rated at 8,800...

Either way the concepts still apply.
I agree completely, just wanted to point out that other numbers might vary. I guess I would also point out that these are HUGELY important to insurance companies during a collision. If you are over any of these numbers, the police are likely to find you at fault (even if you weren't) and the insurance company will be able to get out of covering your claim. And since you would be at fault, you would have to cover the cost of the other folks involved in the accident OUT OF POCKET...

Shawn Carlson
EvilEye@powerstroke.org

Proud Navy Vet
2005 F250, CCSB, 6.0 PSD, FX4 (The Sweet Unit is white)
2008 F350, CCLB, 6.4 PSD (Brad-the wife's truck is black)




Engine Mods:
Fluidampr
CCV Reroute (Reinstated)
4" MBRP Exhaust
MTW Stage 1 Turbo
Bulletproof 53V FICM
BulletProof EGR Cooler
BulletProof Water Pump
Riff Raff Intercooler Boots
Gogo Diesel Direct Drive Solenoid
BulletProof All-Aluminum Radiator
BulletProof All-Aluminum Intercooler
BulletProof Oil Cooler System w/ Bypass Filter
SCT w/ Custom Tunes (TSD, DJ's, Innovative, Gearhead, QuickTricks)

Exterior Mods:
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
Icon Adjustable Trac Bar
Firestone RideRite Air Bags
BDS Dual Steering Stabilizer
Aluminum Finned Differential Cover
Reese 16k Manual Slider 5th Wheel Hitch
Icon 2.5" Leveling Kit w/ F-350 rear blocks
20" BMF Novakanes wrapped in 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers
Evil Eye is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 12-10-2010, 06:30 AM
Premium Member
 
dannanw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,375
Thanks: 8
Thanked 72 Times in 65 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^ well put by all, cab chassis trucks generally are a bit higher, like mine is 12,500.........thus (at least in Co) means I have to stay on truck roughts but most of the time I dont.

What this nation needs is cleaner thoughts and dirtier fingernails...
dannanw is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
7.3Lariat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 1,678
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
I agree completely, just wanted to point out that other numbers might vary. I guess I would also point out that these are HUGELY important to insurance companies during a collision. If you are over any of these numbers, the police are likely to find you at fault (even if you weren't) and the insurance company will be able to get out of covering your claim. And since you would be at fault, you would have to cover the cost of the other folks involved in the accident OUT OF POCKET...
From a personal auto insurance perspective this is incorrect. I could strap 30k to the back of my 250 and if I can't stop and hit 5 cars everything is covered. Assuming I am not carrying goods for money, ie I should have a business/commercial policy. Not to derail the thread just wanted to point out maybe a misconception. Commercial may be another story, I don't handle those.


______________________________________________
Mike

SOLD
Mods: BD-X monitor, 6637, BTS, GT38R, Snow MPGMax, International up-pipes, Hi-Flow Outlet, 5" Diamondeye, HPx, FRx, Gearhead tunes, Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Remote Start

376HP 791ft-lbs on 10.15.11
7.3Lariat is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome