Pretty much desperate for help... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 05:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pretty much desperate for help...

I'm getting very close to making a purchase on a 99 F250 7.3, 158k mi. The vehicle is a ways away, i'm going to look at it Friday, seller seems to be an honest guy, and so far he has the right answers. I thought I had a contact who was going to go over some things with me about what to look for etc when buying a used diesel but so far, my contact won't call back. I don't know anything about diesels.

Is there anyone willing to call me or give me a quick rundown on how to keep from screwing myself? I know nothing is failproof but anything is better than what I know know.

I'm reading that there is a difference between and early 99 and other years. Do I need to avoid an early 99? How can I tell if it is an early 99, VIN? Is it a turbo difference?

I'm hoping to just be educated without getting my tail kicked in the process.
Thanks,
Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 05:58 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Early 99 has a different compressor wheel in the turbo, it is known as the wicked wheel to us that have the late 99 to 03 7.3L.

Really man just look the truck over real good, ask for any documents from repairs made, take it for a test drive. When you test drive just don't go around the block with it. Start it up, let it warm up, take it for a good test drive, city driving, hwy driving, if it has 4wd find some dirt and test it out. You are looking at buying the truck. I am not saying to take the thing into the desert. But give it a good drive, make sure you are comfortable behind the wheel. Listen for any wierd noises, clunks, rattles, vibrations that may not seem right. If you are not fimilar with diesels, set up an appointment with a local trusted diesel mechanic. Probably will cost you 100 bucks if that for him to look the truck over run some tests on it and make sure everything is the way it is suppose to be.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Early 99 has a different compressor wheel in the turbo, it is known as the wicked wheel to us that have the late 99 to 03 7.3L.

Really man just look the truck over real good, ask for any documents from repairs made, take it for a test drive. When you test drive just don't go around the block with it. Start it up, let it warm up, take it for a good test drive, city driving, hwy driving, if it has 4wd find some dirt and test it out. You are looking at buying the truck. I am not saying to take the thing into the desert. But give it a good drive, make sure you are comfortable behind the wheel. Listen for any wierd noises, clunks, rattles, vibrations that may not seem right. If you are not fimilar with diesels, set up an appointment with a local trusted diesel mechanic. Probably will cost you 100 bucks if that for him to look the truck over run some tests on it and make sure everything is the way it is suppose to be.
So is the wicked wheel ok? I'm assuming it is because I understand some guys put them in. Is an early 99 ok?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
early 99's are perfectly fine, just less power, smaller turbo, smaller HPOP, but intercooled.. you can upgrade them.
You can usually tell by the fenders they say powerstroke v8 on the fender instead of the doors... otherwise peeking under the head theres other ways.... but you should look at the build date on the door i believe anything up to 12/98 is E99. Hope that helps ya@
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.