general 7.3 ques. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to two-gun kid
general 7.3 ques.

why are there 2 alt's on the 7.3?

why are there like 3 intake tubes on top of the engine?

what is the stock boost psi the 7.3 runs?

To adjust the boost, would i have to buy a turbo timer or a hand held tuner?

sorry for all the n00b ques, im sure ill have a ton more when i get the truck
hopefully soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not all 7.3's have two alternators. That is a factory option. As far as I know, all Ford diesels have two batteries to put all enough amps to turn the starter. Some owners order their trucks with twin alternators to better keep the batteries charged. Plus campers and other trailers charge their battery off of the truck when hooked up to it.
Check out the routing of those intake tubes closely. Intake air goes from the air cleaner to the cold side of the turbo, then to the intercooler (radiator looking thing in front of engine), out of intercooler to actual intake of engine.
I think the best way to get more boost is with a tuner. The smart thing to do before you make any engine adjustments or modifications is to get a Exhaust Gas Temp gauge (EGT) installed first. Most changes to the computer program adjustments will result in raising the exhaust temp. That is not necessarily bad. You just don't want to overdo it. Melted Turbocharger will be the result.

Hope that helps
Old 05-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

two alt. are used on the ambulance package,
Old 05-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS in W PA
Not all 7.3's have two alternators. That is a factory option. As far as I know, all Ford diesels have two batteries to put all enough amps to turn the starter. Some owners order their trucks with twin alternators to better keep the batteries charged. Plus campers and other trailers charge their battery off of the truck when hooked up to it.
Check out the routing of those intake tubes closely. Intake air goes from the air cleaner to the cold side of the turbo, then to the intercooler (radiator looking thing in front of engine), out of intercooler to actual intake of engine.
I think the best way to get more boost is with a tuner. The smart thing to do before you make any engine adjustments or modifications is to get a Exhaust Gas Temp gauge (EGT) installed first. Most changes to the computer program adjustments will result in raising the exhaust temp. That is not necessarily bad. You just don't want to overdo it. Melted Turbocharger will be the result.

Hope that helps
when i was looking at one in a pic it looked like the tube that comes from the filter goes into the engine, then there is on that goes towards teh back and one coming from passenger side(im guessing the turbo)
anyone have some pics of there engine bay?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-gun kid
when i was looking at one in a pic it looked like the tube that comes from the filter goes into the engine, then there is on that goes towards teh back and one coming from passenger side(im guessing the turbo)
anyone have some pics of there engine bay?
i beleave you are talking about the CAC (cold air charge) tubes. the turbo makes the boost...then the tube on the drivers side on a 7.3 carries that pressurized air to the intercooler by the radiator...the air is cooled in there and then the pressurized air goes back to the motor through the passanger side tube and then into the motor......

as far as the dual altenators.....it an option that costed more from the factory. most trucks do not have them and they were usually purchased for vehicles that would use more amperage during thier use than the single alt can put out....like a catoring truck that may use extra power to keep the boxes on the back cold or warm.....or an ambulance that would use the power to run extra equipment inside...or a fire responce truck doing the same......Marc
Old 05-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

whats the average miles you guys get to the tank for the 7.3 powerstrokes?

who sells good aftermarket parts for powerstrokes?i picked up a DIESEL WORLD mag today and i see alot of Gale Banks and Bully Dog.
my friend has a Edge performance tuner thing.

that piping on the turbo diesels still confuses me. im used to seeing the filter connected to teh turbo then piping from the oulet into the intercooler then out and into the intake manifold.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is how it should be. Can you post a picture of the arrangement under the hood of your truck?
Currently I am getting 18.1 mi/gal. Truck is 2002 F-250 extended cab, all stock except for a K&N air filter. Has just over 29,000 miles. I know some will say it isn't even broken in. I just don't drive it that much. When I pull my 5th wheel camper, I average 11.3 mi/gal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.