Strange Noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange Noise

Hello. I have a 2000 f350 superduty 7.3 and ever since it has gotten cold out my truck has started making a weird noise. driving down the road i can hear a air blowing noise sounds like its on the right side of truck. i have 0 boost when it does this and the truck runs weird. it sounds like leaking air but super loud?? ive tried explaning this to other powerstroke owners and some say theirs do it but im not sure if they know what im talking about. its hard to explain. also during the first 30 minutes of driving my truck in the mornings my exhaust temp gets extremly hot. sometimes 1200 while going 55-60 mph down the highway... any help im lost on this diesel stuff. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Exhaust back pressure valve.

It's a valve on the turbo outlet that will close under a few conditions. It's an attempt to warm up the engine faster by creating more load on the engine. Do a search here for TONS of info.

I'm just about to unhook mine, because every morning when I get to a certain road, that curves and then goes uphill, mine refuses to open up...causing me to not accelerate more than 25 MPH and backs up traffic. I can't go faster- my EGT's peg out. I can't turn down my chip, I'd max at 15 MPH haha! I have read on here from a few people saying after disabling or removing it altogether they haven't noticed any difference in warm up times.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

how do you unhook it? is it hard?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I haven't unhooked mine yet, but supposedly there is just an electrical connector under the turbo you can disconnect. I don't think there would be too many around there to get you confused. I'm sure if you did a quick search here you could probably find a picture.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
its the plug on the pedestal, right below the turbo. really the only thing there. make sure you do it after driving when you know the valve is open.... lol. Anyway if you ever pull the turbo, go ahead and gut it, but not worth it unless you are doing other stuff in there.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^ Dietoremain knows all about gutting/unhooking the EBPV

I still have mine hooked up with guts, I think I might enjoy the noise a little bit too much to get rid of it.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it drives me crazy. it sounds cool but my EGTS peg out i think this is why. and its really annoying trying to drive it cuz my goes on and off on and off it drives me crazy. it did it the whole hour i drove it this morning. make sure its open when i unplug it? how?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 AM

Its malfunctioning if its closing that much. Its easy to tell if the valve is open....when your motor sounds normal and you can run fine. When its closed it sounds like a jet. Just drive around a bit and when your motor sounds normal....pull over. Shut truck off then unplug it. Start truck and forget about it.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
on the drivers side of the truck in the air box there is a grey plug in under the air filter on the lower section of the filter box, unplug that its easier and will shut off the EPV and not throw a MIL light. its just measures outside air temp... with that not connected it doesnt allow the truck to turn on the EPV
Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjcross22 View Post
^^ Dietoremain knows all about gutting/unhooking the EBPV

I still have mine hooked up with guts, I think I might enjoy the noise a little bit too much to get rid of it.
LOL, well it seems there has been 3985393583993 of these threads lately and i have replied to every single one almost, i wish people could search..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.