Is this noise the EBPV? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 05:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this noise the EBPV?

Hi all,
I just purchased me a 2000 Ford F-250 with 92k miles on it. I drive an 18 wheeler so I'm familiar with the diesel engines, but perhaps ya'll can confirm if this is the EBPV making this noise. Last night I was reading the forums and read some information that has me on the right track, but I'm not sure. When I crank the truck up in cold weather (35 degrees or below), it idles fine and goes into a high idle after a minute or two...which I've read is completely normal. When I begin to drive the truck and reach my speed I want (55mph), I can barely give it throttle just to keep my speed steady and I begin to hear this hissing/squeeling. It almost has the sound of a slight belt squeel/bearing sound. The truck has a new 4 inch exhaust system on it with a 5 inch tip. It usually lasts for about 10 minutes or so after driving and eventually goes away. The exhaust sounds like the engine is muffled, and when you let off or give it fuel to accelerate, it goes away but comes back once you barely give it fuel to keep your speed.

Is this what the EBPV does and sounds like? The guy I bought the truck from swore up and down everything was in working condition and nothing mechanically wrong so i'm hoping it's just the way the EBPV works. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 05:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes it sounds like you are describing the EBPV how ever your description of the noise is a little desturbing/confusing(squeeling)? I have 4" inch exhaust with 5" stacks and the best way I can desribe the sound is think of the turbine sound from a jet enginge. King of high pitched whine with an added hisss to it. Wow, never realy realized how hard it is to type out the desription of a sound is. If you are hearing some thing similar to what I am desribing then yes you are good to go. Its the EBPV helping to get heat in your motor. Hope I helped ya and didn't confuse you more.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know right, I know what the sound sounds like but it's so hard to explain lol. It just confuses me because as I said, if you youtube videos of the EBPV, it shows the trucks idling and the valve kicking in. Mine will NOT engage when idling and only does it at slight acceleration (just enough to maintain speed). It's hard to tell if it's coming out of the exhaust, but my wife was riding with me last night and it done it. It almost sounds like it's coming from the right side of the engine but as I said, it does eventually go away. As long as nothing is wrong with the engine, I'm fine! But this does lead me to believe it's the EBPV kicking in..hopefully
Old 12-06-2010, 05:52 AM

Yes it is... retardo.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:55 AM

Hopefuly some one else will chime in here because it should be kicking in at idle as well and I only hear it from the exhaust on mine.Maybe raise the hood and get up there and listen while your wife gives a little throttle? Might help pinpoint it a little better?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:23 AM

Or even easier, Unplug it and drive it around and see if the noise is gone. If so then you know thats what it was and if the noise is still there then well.....
Old 12-06-2010, 06:37 AM

It is supposed to kick in at idle after a few mins. Maybe he isn't letting it idle long enough? Engaging while at speed/low throttle is normal, but it should kick off when you put your foot in it.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my 99 does the same thing and i didn't think it kicked in at idle but it just takes a long time for some reason not to sure why yet still trying to figure that much out
Old 12-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
my two cents unplug it, or gut it like me. best thing ever not having that freaking thing.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine kicks in after about 5-10 minutes of idling, all of a sudden theres that hissing...not sure if that thing really helps warm the motor sooner or not but I'm from wisconsin so I'm gonna leave it alone???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.