Plugging in Block heater questions. GFI? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 04:17 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Plugging in Block heater questions. GFI?

Well, my truck wouldn't start this morning. I am getting an oil change to lighter weight on Friday, and I am going to do the stancor glow plug relay mod soon, but it got a little colder than I thought this morning. 6 degress when I saw the weather I thought they said 22!! Oops. I was going to plug it in, but I just wasn't sure about it. I have never done it before and I can't really find the entire cord to check for holes.

Should I use a GFI like one other poster on this forum mentioned? What kind? All the same?

Anything else I should check? Should I use a certain type of extension cord? Plug in overnight or put on a timer?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 04:42 AM
Retired Soldier!

I use a 12 gauge extension cord, Only use as long as you need to reach the truck. The longer the cord the more resistance, use a timer for 4 hours before you start the truck also.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:48 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGDAVE View Post
I use a 12 gauge extension cord, Only use as long as you need to reach the truck. The longer the cord the more resistance, use a timer for 4 hours before you start the truck also.
That about covers it, but you don't need a timer if you do not want one. I leave mine plugged in from when I get home til I leave my house for the first time the next day.

The two most important thing is this, GFI plug and do not skimp on your extension cord.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:00 AM
Retired Soldier!

I don't use a timer either,but some people feel they need to.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:13 AM

Yeah, I don't care about this bill at the moment. Just need to start this thing. My extension cord is going to be about 20 feet. Is that alright? Plug need to go from garage outlet through the garage and out to the the driveway.

Also, the outlets in my garage have a test/reset breaker type thing on them? Is that the same as the GFI or should I still get a GFI. Will they compete with each other?

What gauge extension cord shoud I get? Sorry? I am not good at this stuff.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:42 AM
Retired Soldier!

12 gauge cord will work, 25 ft cord will be fine. You have GFI on that outlet if it has the red reset button on the outlet.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:23 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGDAVE View Post
12 gauge cord will work, 25 ft cord will be fine. You have GFI on that outlet if it has the red reset button on the outlet.
Not all GFI have red reset button. It all depends on brand and model. If you have a plug outside get the weather proof box. Also get a weather proof connection on your extension cord.

I only mention that because of the weather. Moisture will trip the gfi, that is the reason for the weather proof box and extension cord.

Now what I do is just tuck the plug in the grill so it is out of the weather. But the weather proof box cover is a must.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:16 AM

Thanks all! Going to buy the stuff today! My reset button is not red, just tan like the outlet.

No risk of gelling though right? 6 degree low overnight and high of 20 today.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Gelling is a diffrent issue than plugging in and using a GFI, but at thoes temps, yeah, you might be concerned with gelling. Depends on if they blend the fuel you buy in your area.

However, I agree with the advice above... If you have a reset button on the recptical, it should be a GFI, and will protect things as needed. As said, timer is optional, but will save electricity if you are on a normal schedule. I am not, never know when I'm gonna be leaving, so my truck is plugged in when parked at home, or at the shop, if it's sittin all day... If you always leave at a set time each morning, set your timer to kick on 3-4 hours before you leave, and you won't be wasting electricity.

Good luck... stay warm!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:16 PM

Fantastic..... I plugged in the block heater for 4 hours with my new cord. Everything looks good. Truck won't start. I tested the glow plug really and got 10-11 volts on my analog multimeter. The gpr clicked off and volts fell to 0 like they should, but they didn't seem to stay on for the whole 2 minutes. So maybe the gpr thinks that the chamber is warm enough? Hard to tell though because it is 5 degrees outside and dark so I am climbing on the engine trying to test the gpr and hold a flashlight so I couldn't time it.

Seems the batteries are now worn down. Probably from trying to start this thing 10 times. ugg. This truck will be the death of me. Guess I will jump it tomorrow and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.