Warn to factory hubs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tristanlee85 Send a message via MSN to tristanlee85 Send a message via Yahoo to tristanlee85
Warn to factory hubs

The previous owner installed Warn hubs because he had issues with the factory hubs not (dis)engaging sometimes. From what I have read, the cause of this would be if a vacuum line came off or the seals in the hubs leaked.

I haven't been in a situation yet where I ever needed 4x4 without being able to stop and lock the hubs, however the convenience of auto is nice.

Other than the fact of know that with manual hubs I'm truely either locked or free, what disadvantage would there be to going back to factory hubs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 02:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
have heard there is a slight mileage increase going from factory to warn .... maybe someone else will chime in ???

and if you do let me know as i want to ditch the factory - maybe we can work a deal
Old 12-06-2010, 04:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
factory hubs are shiat..the internals in them after time start locking up in auto and will engage and disengage..theres a reason he put WARN hubs in..smart man..id keep them over ford factory hubs..
Old 12-06-2010, 05:04 AM
Retired Soldier!

I put on the mile marker hubs andit gave me 1.5 more miles per gallon. Whoever had my truck before must have been useing vice gripe to unlock them.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:17 AM

I just changed from factory to Superwinch hubs, and couldnt be happier. Id keep the Warns
Old 12-06-2010, 06:34 AM

I didn't notice a change in MPGs, but I think that's because every time I'd use the factory hubs, I'd have to spend 10 minutes making sure that they unlocked.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanlee85 View Post
The previous owner installed Warn hubs because he had issues with the factory hubs not (dis)engaging sometimes. From what I have read, the cause of this would be if a vacuum line came off or the seals in the hubs leaked.

I haven't been in a situation yet where I ever needed 4x4 without being able to stop and lock the hubs, however the convenience of auto is nice.

Other than the fact of know that with manual hubs I'm truely either locked or free, what disadvantage would there be to going back to factory hubs?
its the other way around about the vac line as they wont lock
Old 12-06-2010, 08:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to tristanlee85 Send a message via MSN to tristanlee85 Send a message via Yahoo to tristanlee85
Thanks all for clearing that up. I knew Warn hubs were good, but didn't know stock was that bad.

goats, thanks for the correction.

All this being said, I assume that it would be fine to lock in the hubs, but use only 2wd for a while, correct? This way if I were need to engage 4hi, I could do it just by flipping the switch without needing to stop and do everything on the spot. I also see in the manual that I can go from 2hi to 4hi while moving, but it didn't list a maximum speed. At what speed would be too fast to switch to and from 4hi?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanlee85 View Post
Thanks all for clearing that up. I knew Warn hubs were good, but didn't know stock was that bad.

goats, thanks for the correction.

All this being said, I assume that it would be fine to lock in the hubs, but use only 2wd for a while, correct? This way if I were need to engage 4hi, I could do it just by flipping the switch without needing to stop and do everything on the spot. I also see in the manual that I can go from 2hi to 4hi while moving, but it didn't list a maximum speed. At what speed would be too fast to switch to and from 4hi?
i know that cause i have that issue not locking in auto and want to get warn hubs lol
Old 12-06-2010, 08:54 AM

Yes, you will be fine to lock the hubs and drive in 4x2. Owners manual lists the maximum speed to shift as 55 MPH, but I think that's too fast, but that's just me. You should NOT be shifting into 4x4 if your rear wheels are spinning faster than the front wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.