NEW CPS, Milage dropped - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEW CPS, Milage dropped

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have owned a 2003 F-250 7.3L, 6 speed, 4x4, 115k. Bought it new. I let the dealer replace the CPS under the recall at about 90K, or about year and a half ago. I used to be able to get 21 MPG with conservative driving in summer, haven't broke 20 or even really close since then. Is the new sensor that bad or did they reflash my computer?http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ima...lies/dunno.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You could try and get a different one from international. they're supposed to have one that runs great. but thats my two cents...
Old 12-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Could be the "Winter Blend" fuel we're all now using too....
Old 12-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I might go get a CPS from international and try when I get time. Should I get the one for the 466 that changes the timing a little or just get the IH replacement for the 444E?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:59 PM

from what I can tell, the black one had the most advance and the grey and blue retard timing a small amount each. From order of most advance to least = Black, grey, blue IH
Retarded timing is only good for less smoke(EPA) smother idle and setups with lots and lots of boost and injectables, because High boost and Nos/meth increase timing by themselves. So for stockers wanting milage you gotta suffer the high price and unreliblility of the blackones OR have your friendly chip burner add the extra timing and run the grey or blue.

Please correct me if im wrong guys Im a humble green ford owner. Just basing it on the change in idle sound, quieter and smoother means less advance, at least im my expirience
Old 12-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercat View Post
from what I can tell, the black one had the most advance and the grey and blue retard timing a small amount each. From order of most advance to least = Black, grey, blue IH
Retarded timing is only good for less smoke(EPA) smother idle and setups with lots and lots of boost and injectables, because High boost and Nos/meth increase timing by themselves. So for stockers wanting milage you gotta suffer the high price and unreliblility of the blackones OR have your friendly chip burner add the extra timing and run the grey or blue.

Please correct me if im wrong guys Im a humble green ford owner. Just basing it on the change in idle sound, quieter and smoother means less advance, at least im my expirience
does the black one actually advance timing or is the black one stock and the gray and blue one are just for tree huggers???
Old 12-09-2010, 06:34 PM

yeah u could say thats most likely the case. Black is stock and grey probobly loses .5* and blue 1* or so, 2* would be very noticeable in mileage and performance. I would think the chip burners will assume everyones doing the grey so be sure and tell them u have a black if u do so you don't end up over timed. If im not mistaken the basic chip for the VP44 equiped Cummins Dodge trucks made 98.5-02 like the edge EZ or power puck or bully dog tourqe dog merely advance timing 2.5* or so to get back the better performance lost to emissions as proper timing produces more smoke/NOx
Old 12-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I hope to go and get one of the black CPS sensors next weekend if the weather still cooperates.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:17 PM

the cheapest I have seen is 48+ship. Have you found it cheaper? I bid on one at ebay and of course people ran it up to like $70
Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 AM

ok dont get confused like me and buy the dark blue ford CPS for IDI 99 and older trucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.