'03 F-250 crew cab 4x4 opinions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'03 F-250 crew cab 4x4 opinions

I know that I'm new here and haven't posted anything yet but I have a few questions I'd like to ask before jumping into the diesel world with both feet.

I'm looking at an '03 lariat crew cab with the 7.3 from a local dealer. Seems to run great (couple small oil leaks) and shifts fine. The truck has 160K on it....heard these motors runs a good long time with some regular upkeep....and they are asking 20K for it......little high or about right?

Here's where the real questions come in. Was the '03 model year a split year between the 7.3 and the 6.0? Anything in particular to look for in a 7.3 as far as problem areas? The previous owner had a brake controller installed on the truck and it seemed to be lit up even when there wasn't a trailer hooked to it or the truck even running.....electrical problem maybe? Then the overhead display (mpg and compass) didn't light up at all...possible blown fuse cause of the brake controller?

Then there is the steering that seemed a bit loose and the loud clunking that you heard everytime you ran across a bump in the road or R/R crossing....tie rod or ball joint failing? Drivetrain noise (IE clunk) from the driveshaft or carrier bearing and the fact that the tires were just about shot lead me to have to think it over before saying yes and signing my life away for another 5 year loan.

I guess what I'm asking is in an honest opinion should I continue to look at the older trucks 99-03 with the 7.3 in them and spend almost as much as a 3-4 year newer truck with about the same amount of miles. As an example of the truck market around here there is an '07 f-250 fx4 with leather and all the goods with 134K miles on it at another dealer for 24K. Granted I've heard the horror stories about the 6.0 but some have had no problems with a little preventative maint. Seems as if the '05-'07 F-250's runs right around the 22-26K range even thought hey have well over 100K miles on the clock.

Guess it's like anything when you get a good one you don't get on every message board and forum jump up and down about them.. But if you get a bad one you can't find the keyboard fast enough to bash them up and down.

Madd Maxx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i think that sounds a little over priced. if it had new tires and everything worked properly (brake controller and msg board) and had new tires and no noises, maybe a fair deal. i bought my 2000 f250 2 years ago with 92k miles on it. not a dent or scratch on it everything worked and was a clean truck, minus the tires that were on it, and paid 15k for mine. its ex cab with a 6spd. i would look around and see what the other dealers want for something like that.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:25 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That truck is like $4,000 too much, easily. Now, your issues...

Depending on the model of the brake controller, they might light up even without a trailer connected. My Prodigy Tekonosha lights up whenever I hit the brake pedal. Loose steering is probably a loose steering box. 15 mins, two wrenches, and you can fix that. Clunking over bumps is probably the sway bar bushings. $50 for a set of Energy Suspension bushings and an hour to replace. The overhead display issue is common, although I don't know what it takes to fix because my truck doesn't have one.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Zaairman: Forgot to mention the dealer had already replaced the sway bar links very recently trying to get rid of the clunk in the front end would be my guess. The brake controller was on with the truck not running and the keys removed.....think that's a problem.

No matter I went and test drove the '07 250 CCSB lariet eddition tonight and it was in excellent condition inside and out. Never had a gooseneck or fifth wheel in it either. Has 138K miles on the clock was a local one owner that actually bought it new and always serviced at the dealership that has it now. He said the only reason they traded it in was to buy a new 2011 model of the same thing.

Only problem with it is a slightly loose steering condition that the service tech said they would fix before it left if I decided to buy it. I'm just wondering how much they will work off the 24,995 price tag they have on it. The truck has been at the dealership since late october...they did say that they fixed an oil leak that showed up when they serviced it so that might have delayed it being actually out on the lot for sale.

What would be a decent price I should shoot for out the door?

Madd Maxx
Old 12-04-2010, 05:23 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Doesn't matter what position the key is in, mine turns on whenever the brakes are hit. Its wired up using the factory harness.

And I have no idea what the pricing is for 6.0s, but I think $20,000 would be a good deal for that truck...
Old 12-04-2010, 05:29 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
Sounds expensive I bought my 02 with 71k on it 3 years ago for 21K and it had more mods on it than you can imagine, easily 20k was put into it.

With 160k I wouldnt pay more than 14k
Old 12-04-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd_Maxx View Post
Zaairman: Forgot to mention the dealer had already replaced the sway bar links very recently trying to get rid of the clunk in the front end would be my guess. The brake controller was on with the truck not running and the keys removed.....think that's a problem.

No matter I went and test drove the '07 250 CCSB lariet eddition tonight and it was in excellent condition inside and out. Never had a gooseneck or fifth wheel in it either. Has 138K miles on the clock was a local one owner that actually bought it new and always serviced at the dealership that has it now. He said the only reason they traded it in was to buy a new 2011 model of the same thing.

Only problem with it is a slightly loose steering condition that the service tech said they would fix before it left if I decided to buy it. I'm just wondering how much they will work off the 24,995 price tag they have on it. The truck has been at the dealership since late october...they did say that they fixed an oil leak that showed up when they serviced it so that might have delayed it being actually out on the lot for sale.

What would be a decent price I should shoot for out the door?

Madd Maxx
For the 07 you can be looking close to 30 for a good one so that price doesn't sound too bad.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
What i read here is all common issues with our trucks..

loose steering..normal lol..i think almost ever sueprduty gets this, its just play in the worm gear box on the frame..couple wrenches and you can usually tighten it back up..

Overhead console... 100% normal...theres a fix on here usually what happens is the little resistors come off the board..you jsut need to find out which ones and re solder them down..and bango it works again.. i did this to mine.

Brake controller.. Normal...itll go into "sleep " mode but once the brake is touched it will turn back on..the brake controllers on our trucks have there own plug in and im sure there own fuse.. i wouldnt worry about that..

Oil leaks, check the valley, usually the HPOP lines leak and are fixed within 45mins and a few o-rings..super easy and #1 place to leak.. 2nd would be turbo pedastal orings or valve covers..just check the valley..wash it and run it for a few days..youll notice where its coming from

Clunk.. Well...its one of 1000000 things lol

1st- front sway bar bushings..not links...bushings.. there usually #1
2nd- sway bar links..
3rd- ball joints..but thats an easy test, usually when they start to fail they wil squeak when turning the steering wheel.
4th- front inner hub seals, when they are worn it cause the front axle shaft to bounce up and down and make a clunking noise..once fixed the noise will go away..
5th- anything and everything that may be loose..just get under her out your hands on stuff and shake them..your not going to hurt it..inspect the front steering etc.

Price.. thats a huge chunk of change for that mileage i think..i only paid 18K..2 years ago and thats CAD for a truck with 120K miles.. so like 16ish K down there..

For my 03 7.3 CC lariat i had i paid 20K CAD 3 years ago and it only had 98Kmiles on it..

beat them down on the price..if they want it gone they'll sell it..
Old 12-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Recently picked up my 2000 F250 ccsb 4x4. Truck had 232,000 on it. New leveling kit. 3 in lift kit. new aluminum rims and nitto grapplers. no rust anywhere. interior was perfect. Only issue I had was it needed new ujoints. Paid 4300 for it. Guy was getting a divorce and needed money. I know I stole it but deals are out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.