Replacing oil pan - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Replacing oil pan

I need to replace my oil pan bad. I dont have the room or hoist to pull the motor. Ive heard a few people talk about drilling out the rivets in the cross member and doing it in the truck, then use grade 8 bolts to reinstall the cross member, has anyone done this? Is it safe? Any info is much appreciated as I fear I dont have much time before the oil pan rots all the way through and Im on the side of the road, thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 01:50 PM

Oh yea, also dont have the $2600 the local shop wants to do it
Old 12-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

Never heard of doing that, just pulling the motor. That salt must be h#$% up there.

"did our 99 F550 with out totally pulling the motor...drop the tranny, pull the turbo, pull ic tubes, unhook engine harness,fuel line pull all the sh!t off the front of the motor a/c,ps,alt,etc pull the rad and lift it out of mounts and pull motor to front of truck so fan is almost touching rad cradle and till the valve covers touch the wiper cowl... then the pan will come off...

If I ever have to do one again the tranny is staying in and the MOTOR IS COMMING OUT!!!! out all the way and being put on a stand... its a pita to do it in the truck.. I don't advise it and I will never do it this way again I learned from my mistake something that I figured would save time likely cost me more time and definitely more aggravations " quoted from Cj ford on this thread:7.3 Oil Pan Replacement?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=carolinaboy02powerstroke;2211977]Never heard of doing that, just pulling the motor. That salt must be h#$% up there.

Man you said it, they throw down more salt than you can imagine, its terrible.

Thanks for your reply

I really hope someone has done this and can chime in, this is about the only way Im going to be able to do it but if it isnt safe or its going to hurt the truck or cause problems down the road I'll have to figure something out.

Im not trying to be a hack I just dont have the space to do it anymore, and Im laid off till spring so money is REALLY tight so I cant pay to have it done
Old 12-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

I do know that the surfaces need to be super clean and the sealant needs to sit for 24hrs. I would recommend getting on craigslist and placing an ad for a cherry picker or see if there is a diesel mechanic that is willing to do it in his spare time for you at a reduced rate, even if you helped in trade for some labor.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:24 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaboy02powerstroke View Post
I do know that the surfaces need to be super clean and the sealant needs to sit for 24hrs. I would recommend getting on craigslist and placing an ad for a cherry picker or see if there is a diesel mechanic that is willing to do it in his spare time for you at a reduced rate, even if you helped in trade for some labor.

Thats not a bad idea. There might even be a mechanic who is layed off and needs some cash but not the $100 or so an hr the dealer does.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan2005 View Post
Thats not a bad idea. There might even be a mechanic who is layed off and needs some cash but not the $100 or so an hr the dealer does.

I guarantee there are multiple diesel mechanics out there without a job. He could even go to the local stealership's shops and ask their mechanics if they would be up for it, or if they know someone who would be.

If he has a diesel mechanic school near him, they may even volunteer a class to tackle the project for free, just as a learning experience for the class.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Thats not a bad idea, I'll look around. Thanks guys
Old 12-02-2010, 02:44 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where abouts in wisconsin are ya?
Old 12-02-2010, 03:46 PM

Im in Racine, About 20 minutes south of Milwaukee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.