Okay, long story short is I am looking at getting a PSD and found a rig I am excited about, and hope the deal goes through.
But, I am normally a gas-guy and will be trying to learn on the fly as far as diesel's go. I had a few basic questions, and was hoping some here could give me some help.
1) How cold does it have to be to plug the truck in? Temps in the winter can get down into the teens and twentys. I have no problem plugging the truck in if it's necessary, but just want to make sure.
2) Cycling the plugs - How is this done? Just turning the key to on? What benefit does this give to the truck?
3) Could you put an auto-start on a diesel? If yes, how does that work with the glow-plugs and cylcing them?
4) What's a normal operating temp on a diesel?
5) What are the major things to monitor on a diesel? I know water temp, oil PSI, and all that, but I'm hearing EGT's and Tranny temps and alot of others. Plan on putting a set of gauges in, but want to know which ones I should get.
6) How big is the gas tank on an 03 F250?
Sorry for the amount of questions. I have so many questions, and figure this is a good start.
1. i'd say below 30 i'd start pluggin in but some will say colder.
2. Cycling the plugs is done by turning the switch on, letting the glow plugs warm, turning the switch off, turning it back on, etc.. This is COMPLETELY unecessary to do and only wastes batterys.
3. You can put an auto start, seen it done, it will do just like you would when you get in, it'll heat the glow plugs for you and fire right up.
4. I idle at 200-250.. Normal driving between 500-600.. up hills and stuff you can see anything just NEVER get over 1200 degrees.
5. Your basic things to monitor are your boost pressure, exhaust temp (egt's), and transmission (the trans is more important on an automatic, if its a stick shift it aint to big of a deal)
6. not positive about the gas tank but my 01 has a 25 gallon but i can fit 28.
Hope this helps, enjoy your diesel if ya get it.
Ford F250 Ext Cab Short Bed 7.3L PowerStroke
S&B Cold Air Intake
ATS Ported Shroud Housing
Waste Gate Unplugged
Glowshift Gauges Boost, Trans, EGT
*DP Tuner coming soon*
And YES this is the sh*tiest looking hay you'll ever see