Artic Cold Weather Self Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Artic Cold Weather Self Start

Hi everyone, I have a buddy that recently bought a '99 7.3L PSD. It came with an aftermarket remote start kit on it, and also a switch inside the cab that can be turn on which activates an artic kit for cold weather. It allows the engine to start itself when a certain temperture is reached, and shuts down when engine reaches operating temperture. Has anyone ever seen one of these or know where to get one? Sure would be nice when the block heater can't be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Id rather start my truck once in cold weather as opposed to 10 times in cold weather. Alot more cold wear and tear.. Just my opinion.

Heres a free Bump
Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD Dually View Post
Hi everyone, I have a buddy that recently bought a '99 7.3L PSD. It came with an aftermarket remote start kit on it, and also a switch inside the cab that can be turn on which activates an artic kit for cold weather. It allows the engine to start itself when a certain temperture is reached, and shuts down when engine reaches operating temperture. Has anyone ever seen one of these or know where to get one? Sure would be nice when the block heater can't be used.

That would be nice for were iam on job sites that don't have power and the truck is a pain in the *** to start.

Bump
Old 11-29-2010, 08:48 AM

It sure would be! I just typically leave my truck running when I have to be on location for sometimes up to 2-3 days if its cold out and I have nowhere to plug in the block heater.

I've been looking at remote starters lately for my girlfriend's jeep. I could theoretically run one on my pickup, but am too afraid of leaving it in gear as it is a bad habit I have (6 spd).
Old 11-29-2010, 10:53 AM

I think you can get remote starter that you have to have to e-brake on for it to work
Old 11-29-2010, 11:03 AM

Yeah, you can - however with my ebrake working as good as a 2" round rock wedged under my tire, at this point it wouldn't do much good. I am renting a shop with a couple of friends and we get to move in this weekend so my plan is to redo the rear axle seals as well as put new parking brake shoes on...
Old 11-29-2010, 11:53 AM

does it need new shoes or does it just need the cable tightened up? alot of times you can just adjust the cable or the star wheel in the back and fix them.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:34 PM

It actually needs new shoes, on one side. I went to put them on (which is a royal PITA without pulling the axles). Well, I got the Driver's side on, and went to do the passenger side only to find out my axle seal was weeping, coating them in gear oil. Not too much, but enough that I didn't put the passenger side shoes on yet. Like I said, I'm moving into my new shop this weekend, so it will be the next thing I do to my truck in the coming weeks, as well as installing the front leveling kit I've had sitting for 2 months, and cleaning the EBPV tube.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I dont think starting the truck and letting it idle in the cold would be good.

IIRC, someone on these forums says that our trucks wont heat up to operating temp at an idle. It was something to do with they have too good of cooling systems for idle temp's to cause the engine to warm up.

I agree with the guy who said "Id rather start my truck once in cold weather as opposed to 10 times in cold weather."
Old 11-29-2010, 03:01 PM

Actually they can stay warm as long as the high idle and ebpv still works. Ive left mine running for a long time and it stays plenty warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.