starter question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
starter question

a few months ago, I heard a nasty grinding sound starting the truck one morning, crawled under and the starter was about to fall out. yesterday morning to pull the truck into the garage, I went to start the truck, and heard a slightly different grinding type noise. checked, and starter is still bolted up firmly. tried again and it started just fine. Yesterday I changed the glow plugs and parked it outside to check how it starts this morning. walk out this morning, let it turn over about 20 seconds, no start. decided I did not wait long enough for the glow plugs, try again, and I get a nasty grinding noise similar to yesterday. check, starter is still attached right. try to start again, same noise, then on 3rd try it starts right up.

Is this a sign my starter is failing? what would make it grind like that? also how long should I let it crank on the cold morning before stopping and trying again? I had to run some errands around town, and the wife was already gone, so I took my chances and drove away. started it 5 or 6 more times while running errands, and started fine every time with no grinding. could something in the start be frozen, hence the sound while it is cold, but starts fine once warmed up again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i would imagine that due to the starter almost falling off, you may have broken a few teeth on your flywheel, which at certain times would cause it to grind. only fix would be a new flywheel.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:41 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I would pull the starter and look at the bendix gear. Being it was about to fall out you most likely have a damaged bendix gear.

The bendix gear is more likely to be damaged than the flywheel. Reason is the flywheel is stronger harder steel than the bendix gear.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
I would pull the starter and look at the bendix gear. Being it was about to fall out you most likely have a damaged bendix gear.

The bendix gear is more likely to be damaged than the flywheel. Reason is the flywheel is stronger harder steel than the bendix gear.
What he said .
Old 11-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
my bet is the flywheel. I would pull the inspection plate off the bottom of the trans bell housing and spin the motor over. Theres a flywheel tool that hold the teeth and allows you to turn it over.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Question

I have not had time to crawl underneath and check the flywheel or starter yet, been working and running kids to activities too much. I have noticed that it only happens in the early AM when the truck is cold? is that just a coincidence. I have started it cold in the morning only a few times, and it happens pretty much every time. it never happens for the later starts when the truck is warmed up. This morning went to start it to go to work, and it made the noise, then second try it turned over for a second, then you could hear the starter spinning fast but not engaged, then would only make the grinding sound again. could it be something shorting in my starter when the motor is cold and harder to turn over, and I am mistaking that for a grinding noise? I guess since it would not start today, I will have to make time to yank the starter this afternoon and look at it.I am assuming since it did not start and I am hearing the noise, if the flywheel is damaged, i should be right at that spot if I look in the starter hole? assuming I can actually get to a spot to see anything in there. I had the batteries tested by the parts store and they said both were putting out 750 amps, how reliable is that test? I just bought the truck in July, so I don't know how old the batteries are. I have a meter, can I check the voltage while someone is turning the truck over would that tell me anything about the battery condition?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:28 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprobst View Post
I have not had time to crawl underneath and check the flywheel or starter yet, been working and running kids to activities too much. I have noticed that it only happens in the early AM when the truck is cold? is that just a coincidence. I have started it cold in the morning only a few times, and it happens pretty much every time. it never happens for the later starts when the truck is warmed up. This morning went to start it to go to work, and it made the noise, then second try it turned over for a second, then you could hear the starter spinning fast but not engaged, then would only make the grinding sound again. could it be something shorting in my starter when the motor is cold and harder to turn over, and I am mistaking that for a grinding noise? I guess since it would not start today, I will have to make time to yank the starter this afternoon and look at it.I am assuming since it did not start and I am hearing the noise, if the flywheel is damaged, i should be right at that spot if I look in the starter hole? assuming I can actually get to a spot to see anything in there. I had the batteries tested by the parts store and they said both were putting out 750 amps, how reliable is that test? I just bought the truck in July, so I don't know how old the batteries are. I have a meter, can I check the voltage while someone is turning the truck over would that tell me anything about the battery condition?
The starter is bad for sure . That is what they do . New starter all will be well . Batteries sound a little low but that depends what there cca rating is to begin with . I think you will be fine . Yes you can look in the hole the nose of the starter goes in and see the flywheel . You would need to be able to turn the motor to inspect the whole thing . I have had many starters do what yours is doing . Change the starter asap and you wont hurt the flywheel .

Last edited by Bad Night; 11-30-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
my bet is the flywheel. I would pull the inspection plate off the bottom of the trans bell housing and spin the motor over. Theres a flywheel tool that hold the teeth and allows you to turn it over.
I agree with this statement. I have seen the loose starter on 2 powerstokes. the 1st one we caught before it did any real damage and just installed new starter. 2nd one had been doing it for awhile and messed up the bendex gear and 2 different spots on the flywheel. Ended up replacing b oth the starter and flywheel.
I'd put some tread lock on those starter bolts and keep an eye on them here and there. wouldnt do any harm checking them when doing oil change or somthing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.