01 7.3 Ltr fuel gage issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 7.3 Ltr fuel gage issue

Hello All
Recently my fuel gage on 01 super duty is acting up. The needle slowly rises to full a few minutes after the engine is running, one day it worked fine, had just above a half tank compared to my mileage counter like i figure. then next day the needle just rised to complete full tank. Any suggestions? Fuse? etc? help much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Emergency Services

I had problems with my fuel gauge a few months ago as well. Turned out my "fuel sending unit" was cracked. It left me stranded without fuel twice. Long story short it was an $800 repair.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks shooter

appreciate the info. is the sending unit inside the tank? i will research more on that. i put a bowl under the engine today, drained quite a bit of fuel off, didnt really see anything bad in regards to contaminants or water, i have been using lucas oil additive for a couple of years now, hopefully that hasnt affected the fuel system. i have my daughters friend called he worked for ford as mechanic, gonna call him, if i find out any hard and fast info i will pass along. thanks again shooter
Old 11-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was out in the woods this spring and I looked and saw my gauge slowly working its way up to full and it has been there ever sense. I figure the sending part in the tank is the problem. No way I will spend a bunch to get that fixed though. I just fill up every few days. Looking forward to replies
Old 11-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Emergency Services

It's not that mine was an annoyance and never read right, it's that it would stop sending fuel to the engine because of the crack. It would usually stop picking up fuel when there was about 1/4 fuel left in the tank. Don't think this has happened to Lookn4trains yet, but if it does this could be a diagnosis.

Side note, Lookn4trains, I assume your into trains from the screen name lol. My Grandpa, Dad, and Uncle all work for Union Pacific. Grandpa used to be the foreman of the Houston yard, Uncle is head of IT, and dad used to lay track and stuff.

We're all gonna go see that unstoppable movie when it comes out!
Old 11-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Awesome shooter, i grew up in cincinnati, couldnt swing a dead cat without hitting a train when i was young, i have a lot of respect for the guys out there moving our commerce, takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to put up with the hours and time away from family. my last 3 years in navy was in great lakes prior to retirement, thats a whole lotta trains up there! Good friend of mine there is manager of track maintenance from Kenosha wisconsin to Chicago.

well, Josh99 gave me a good idea there, just monitor my fuel mileage, its been steady so i'll try that, both you guys have a great turkey day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.