97 PSD vs. 98 Chevy 6.5 TBD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 PSD vs. 98 Chevy 6.5 TBD

I am looking at these two trucks for pulling a 5000 lb trailer in the mountains of Utah. I would like to hear your oppinions on the two.

I know that stock the PSD has more power (225 hp and 450 ft/lbs). I beleive the 1998 6.5 has 190 hp and 380ft/lbs. Both ratings are at the flywheel. If I add a chip, exhaust, and TM from Health they say I will gain 52HP and 100ft/lbs of torque (at the rear wheels). That would be like what 70hp and 140ft/lbs at the flywheel? That makes 260 Hp and 520 ft/lbs. So I would have more power out of my 6.5 than a stock PSD. Are these HP claims correct?
Now considering that I can get a 6.5 for $1000 to $2000 cheaper. To me it would make sense to get the 6.5.
AM I MISSING SOMETHING? is my information correct?

I keep hearing that the PSD has way more power but according to the numbers with a little modification the 6.5 should out pull the PSD??? I know I could even get more power out of a PSD but I am looking to get 450 to 500 fl/lbs of torque. I do not want to spend alot and I want a reliable truck.

Thanks for all your input guys, It is a huge help when trying to buy a truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

well the power stroke you could cut ot the muffler (& cat if equip) to straight pipe it...
then do the DYI (do it yourself intake)...
then a set of gauges
finally a chip TW,PHP,DP,
Old 11-21-2010, 04:07 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The 6.5 is a tuuuuuuuuuuuuurd. Turdy turd turd. Even with those upgrades, it won't outpull a stock Powerstroke. Spend the extra $1000 and be happy with having a truck that has enough power to not get run off the road.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:33 PM

to guys i know (yaya only two) one has a 99 6.5 4X4 cc sb auto he has down bigger injectors,fuel pump,put on a air to air,a reburned ecm from heath diesel & some other stuff under the hood besides the standard intake & exhaust

so my other buddy has a 96 power stroke 4X4 cc lb 5 speed with just a DYI,straight piped,air to air & a fuel line x-over

that said the gmc pulls a 25' toy hauler
the psd pulls a 26' toy hauler
they pretty much go camping together all over the place & the psd stays right with him up all the hills & never says anything about over heating or not being able to keep up
but the gmc has said that sometimes it runs hot up hills & has to back out of it at times
the gmc is chipped the psd is not
Old 11-21-2010, 04:45 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
they both have their problems
had a 2000 gmc that through a rod at 294000 miles
it was cheaper to get a 99 f250sd then to fix the old motor
the gmc was better on gas ,both of them are good with a trailer behind
i like the powerstroke better
pm me if you have any questions i had the 6.5 for 4 years and 150000 miles i know a little about them
Old 11-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just from another perspective.

Disclaimer, I own both 6.5's and powerstrokes, and cummins 5.9's, oh, and a 3116 cat, just in vehicles. Several smaller diesels as well.

The 6.5 in stock form, is a 6.5. No screaming hell for power, or at least not enough to hurt itself. That said, it starts every time, goes where I need it to go, and does what I need it to do. It has hauled hay, horses, cows, skidsteer loaders, small excavators, firewood, etc. It gets phenomonal fuel economy for being a 3500 4x4 dually, or even compared to a 1/2 ton gasser. They will get warm if you work them hard, and if you add injectors, or a chip, they are prone to cracking the webbing in the lower block, this is remedied by installing a main girdle. The older ones 92 -93, have mechanical pumps, very little to go wrong. The lift pumps need a relay, to deliver clean power to them, and that makes them nearly bulletproof. The later engines 94 up, have the DB2 electronic pump, with that pesky little PMD, or fuel solenoid driver, that gives nothing but grief. However, you can retrofit a mechanical pump on these engines with no problem. The oil cooler lines are prone to leaking, but they are an easy change. Dirt simple engines, for dirt simple people.

The powerstroke. Way more power in stock form, although pulling loads, I don't see a huge amount of difference, as the ford puts it down a little differently. More of a rev happy design. More fuel hungry than the GM by far. Overly complicated fuel delivery system, prone to failure at the most inopportune times. CPS is always an issue, carry a spare in the glovebox. High pressure oil o-rings have a tendency to let go right when you don't want them to. Turbo pedestal leaks at the EBPV actuator, not if, but when. Can lose a LOT of oil in a hurry. These engines tend to be a little cold blooded, if you don't keep them warm, many times they don't like to start. I have had endless starting problems with mine, to the point where if it doesn't start in two cycles of the GP system, I leave it parked and take something that will run.

Now, for a true "work" truck, I run a dodge with a cummins. Starts every time, decent on fuel, pulls like a locomotive, but it isn't a hotrod by any means. Just gets the job done right, and every time. As for the truck, well, dodge made the nicest packing crate I've ever seen, for an engine that should have been in a ford.... we'll leave it at that.

I don't see a problem with either the GM product, or the ford, for pulling something as small as a 5000lb trailer through the mountains. Test drive both, and go with what you are more comfortable in. That is really what matters.

Good luck
Old 11-21-2010, 08:35 PM

The PSD will pull well and probably last you a lot longer, especially under a heavy work load. GM just couldn't seem to get it right with that 6.5 diesel, the Chev dealer I used to work at saw an endless line of those things with cooling problems and/or busted up motors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.