Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rotella VS Valvoline

14K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  ZombieSoldier 
#1 ·
So ever 7.3 i've ever owned i've run nothing but Rotella, but here recently i had a friend recommend trying valvoline. I normally run Rotella 15w40, but instead i changed my oil yesterday and tryed Valvoline 20w40 with a half gallon of Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

My first impression of the Valvoline is WOW, i love the way the motor feels, soo so much smoother idle and crusing along, seems a bit quieter too, and even starts easier. With Rotella i had the real loud first crank when the truck started, almost sounded like it was startin dry. But with Valvoline its nothing even close, smooth start, smooth idle, smooth everything.

So what im askin is for opinions? Or does anyone think the higher viscosity will hurt the engine?

And while im askin i usually use Fram filters but went with a Motorcraft this time.. Yes i know Motorcraft is the factory Ford equipment, but is it as good or better compared to others?

All help is much appreciated.

#3 ·
The Valvoline was actually about 5 bucks cheaper for the 2.5 gallon jug

#4 ·
Ive been running the Valvoline for months now, and like it. It does make my truck run quieter, and smoother. Then again, 20 days at most and I'm doing another oil change with the miles I put on... I like the Valvoline, if I can find it locally. I usually pick some up at Wal-Mart's out of town since the local one doesn't carry it.

#6 ·
What do you drive cause i hope to god i dont have to change it that often, lol, do you go by 6,000 miles?

#7 ·
Try it and get you a 1 gallon jug of Lucas Oil Stabilizer, its about 40 bucks for a gallon but man it works wonders.

#8 ·
I thought we don't put nothing but oil in our trucks??? Dosen't the lucas foam up from the hpop could have sworn I read this somewhere not to add stuff like this due to hpop pressures.

#9 ·
I'd never heard that, i could see it happenin though cause that stuff is thick is mollasses. I had to mix it with the oil just to get it to go down the funnel

#11 ·
I would not put that stuff in my oil, He is right that stuff is rediculously thick, Watched a buddy put some in his Duramax. You almost have to spoon it out i dont want that stuff firing my injectors off.

#12 ·
DO NOT RUN LUCAS IN A POWERSTROKE

If you do you might as well be putting this in your oil

If you want to run an oil additive use REV X its actually designed to run in powerstrokes and works well.

Valvoline extreme blue 15w40 is one of the best oils on the market.

Is the 20w40 even diesel rated?

#13 ·
I think you mean "Premium Blue"? Its what I run. I've never been much of a fan of Valvoline, but after my dad started running it, I likes how his truck ran so I started too.

This is what it looks like in the 1 gallon jug:
http://www.valvolinecummins.com/Upload/Products/Valvoline-Premium-Blue-15W40-VD.gif

Its sad to say, but the easiest thing for me to spot is the Cummins logo to decipher it from the rest of their blue jugs.

#14 ·
I like the Valvine Blue, I run that or the Rotella 15-40 what ever is cheaper when I do my oil.

#15 · (Edited)
Its not the Valvoline Blue or whatever, its the regular 20w40 and its diesel rated, i have a friend that runs it in his cummins. And i've done put it in there so any suggestions on what i should do?

#16 ·
Drain it Put new oil in without lucas

#17 ·
If i leave it in there whats it gonna hurt?

#19 ·
I had a weepy real seal when I bought my truck and a diesel mech buddy suggested Lucas. Cleared up and I've run Lucas ever since (50K).

Check with Napa. I think thier products are Valvoline, at least the trans fluid is.

#21 ·
Ask your "mechanic" if hes ever read the warning on the lucas bottle?

It specifically says NOT FOR USE IN POWERSTROKE DIESELS:doh:

#25 ·
To many if's on Lucas for me to use in my truck. I just use good ole 15W40 Valvoline or Rotella.

#28 ·
Delo, Rotella, Valvoline. I prefer the Valvoline, but if I'm on the road and pull in to get an oil change and they don't have it, I don't mind running one of the other two. With the Delo and Rotella I will just be more likely to change at 3000 miles. I dont think it makes a difference, I just feel that the Valvoline makes my truck run better, so I like to run it as often as possible.

#30 · (Edited)
My dad ran Rotella for millions of miles and swore by it. I'm running Delvac in mine now and like it. Going to try the Valvoline blue next because I've run valvoline in everything I've owned since I was 15. Motorcraft Filter seems to be the unanimous favorite for filter.

#39 ·
so the general consensus is

1. Valvoline oil "Premium Blue" 15w40
2. Motorcraft filter
3. Rev X (where can I get this and what exactly is it and how much do i put in?)

am I correct on this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.