Going to synthetic in the tranny - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Going to synthetic in the tranny

I'm wanting to switch over to synthetic in my new bts tranny
Just wondering if I can drain it and refil with synthetic or does it Gota be flushed. Is it to mix it abut with normal ATF??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i would take it to a reputable shop with a tranny flush machine. i know your not supposto mix syn and regular motor oil, shouldnt be any different with tranny oil
Old 11-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

anybody else got feedback ??
Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i know the fluid bts uses is great but if you're due for a change yeah why not... definitely needs to all get removed though..
Old 11-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You should be fine if you drain the converter (it should have a plug), gravity flush the cooler, and change the filter. That should get 95% or more of it out and that’s more than the average trany shop flunky will get out. To flush the cooler get some rubber hose, pull the cooler lines off the trans. Put a hose from one into a bucket and from the other into a funnel held high then pour new fluid through till it comes out about the same color as it's going in.

Last edited by adfields; 11-17-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Since there is a drain plug on the transmission pan, I usually drain and fill the pan every 10K miles. That keeps fluid fresh. I flushed it only one time when I brought the truck home the first time as I knew the previous owner probably did not change fluid.

Honda transmission has a huge magnetic drain plug, which catches metal particles. Honda OEM procedure calls for taking the plug out, clean all metal particles off the plug, drain and fill the transmission, drive around the block, drain and fill, drive around the block, drain and fill.....and that's it. I sold my Honda Civic at 180K miles and it still had the original OEM transmission.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:59 PM

Don’t know a thing about Honda but Fords have a huge magnet to ketch fairies mettle and filter to ketch all the other trash inside there, both are reached by dropping the pan. If you don’t change the filter it will eventually ether bypasses sending all the trash through the trans or restricts the flow and ether will damage the trans. If you don’t clean the magnet eventually it will not hold any more leaving free metal floating in the fluid to faster plug the filter and cause the above issues.

If you are just draining a Fords pan and topping it off you are not removing the trash in there but for the tiny amount suspended in the 1/3 of the fluid you remove. It's not that hard (likely faster definitely cheaper with $5+ a quart synthetic) to do the usual service of change the filter, drain the converter, flush the cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.