Changing oil filter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Changing oil filter

Probably a dumb question but I gotta ask:

I just had an oil change at a "Quick stop" (10 minute) oil change place because of a special that was going on a couple days ago.

I have since researched the filter that I let the guy talk me into using. I was assured that it was OE quality and while I should have known better I opted to go ahead. I almost stopped and picked up a genuine FL-1995 Motorcraft filter anyway on top of the oil change.

Long story short, since I have been reading up on the Prime Guard filter that they installed, I have no intentions on starting the engine on my truck again until the filter is changed.

Question is: Is it okay to just change the filter back to a Motorcraft so long as I prime the filter accordingly, etc? Or am I going to lose a bunch of oil just by changing the filter alone to the point that I should go ahead with the full oil change? Basically any damage just by changing the filter alone and then topping back off? Dumb question?

Fire Away!

Last edited by E'sStrokr01; 11-11-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 03:02 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just take of the old one and put the new one on. It will be a mess no matter what you do. I poke a hole in the bottom of the filter with it on the truck and let it drain. Do this after you have loosened it just slightly. That way you know you will be able to get the filter off once it has a hole in it. Once drained it isnt such a mess when taking the filter off. I just use a 16-penny nail.

I always pre-fill the new filter with oil within about on inch from the top, less air and faster to get oil pressure. Does it do any good, I dont really know...
Old 11-11-2010, 03:08 PM

I have ran there filters on most of my trucks for years. Dont let the internets scare you. Not a damn thing wrong with that filter.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

man i have always been tried and true to never change my 1.brand oil 2.weight oil 3.brand oil filter. the only time my truck has changed brands of oil is from the factory motorcraft it had when we bought it from the dealership. other than that i have used rotella 15w40 and k&n oil filters. 307XXX and still runs great. and yes i fill my oil filters up to the top and swish it around to make sure the media is saturated
Old 11-12-2010, 06:23 AM

Any other thoughts on these filters? I've noticed a few that said they would use them and others that said they would not?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 AM

What's the purpose of changing oil? It's to get those suspended particles and acid out of the engine. A filter prolongs the life of the oil, and any new filter is better than an old one.

Keep what's in there; you'll be fine. If it makes you feel better, change the oil within a shorter period of time.

There's so many variables about engines and oil and filters that nobody is a real expert...the most you'll get are opinions, so trust to your own opinion. The fact that you're changing the oil says that you're taking care of the truck.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:19 AM

Alright good deal. Thanks Everyone
Old 11-12-2010, 01:23 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I wouldnt change it. Sure, for your piece of mind, next time get a Motorcraft next time. I agree with the comment above "dont let the internet blogs scare you"!

Now if you had a 6.0, I would tell you to not start it until you got a Ford fitler in there!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
I wouldnt change it. Sure, for your piece of mind, next time get a Motorcraft next time. I agree with the comment above "dont let the internet blogs scare you"!

Now if you had a 6.0, I would tell you to not start it until you got a Ford fitler in there!

Agreed... The 6.0 filter is a different beast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.