01 7.3 lots of codes after changing Glow Plugs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 7.3 lots of codes after changing Glow Plugs

Skip to problems unless you want to be bored or need background.

I have been accused of being a bit anal when it comes to taking care of my cars. Oil change every 3K miles fuel filter every 10K and Howes in every tank.

My scanner showed over boost at start up which made no sense and it is just a hypertech tuner scanner. So, I go to an independent shop and get the SES light checked. They say #6 glow plug bad. I did notice a puff a smoke when it cool out so it made sense. I have known the guy for several years and trust him so I am sure he was being fair with me. That being said they wanted a lot of money to fix it so a buddy and I did it yesterday. Both of us do a lot of auto work and do most of if not all of our work.

As stated above I prefer overkill, so se did them all, they were only 12 bucks each, so why not, and we did the harnesses at the same time based on many recomendations. Got the parts from Ford, Genuine Motorcraft boxes. The valve cover gaskets were in really good shape so I left them on, we had extras but no need to change them. The inside of the engine was sparkling clean (glad to see that). But, I have to say it was a bit of a pain on the excursion, the lower valve cover bolts on the passenger side and the rear on the driver side are not fun. It took us about 4 hours.

So we reset the codes and I drive the thing home. Runs fine starts fine, but the SES Light came back on last night after two drives one about 20 miles and the other about 2. When I got the truck it had a hypertech program in it. I took it out and use it to correct tire size (+1). It does have the DTC reader in it so I kept it, cleared these codes this morning.

PROBLEM

I now have 10 codes this morning.

I sure hope it is something simple, I reset them and will check again later today. Is there something stupid we could have done that would cause all of these codes. It only had one before, I sure hope I did not do a bunch of work for nothing. I know the plugs go bad and the truck is 10 years old and has 95k on it so I do not think it was a waste of time. But what went wrong? Looking for help.

PS we did check here before we started and got a lot of help from others. So thanks for that and for this problem in advance. Sorry to be so long. Richard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

wow man. many of those codes are sensors. perhaps a wire harness was bumped?

i saw, EOT, ICP, Glow, KAM, etc when i googled those. i can post specifics if you want. but with all those i would think a loose connection somwhere.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is what we were thinking too. A litle cool out this morning so I thought I would check if this was something obvious to those who have done this before.

I have the code print out so we do know what they are, most are out or range or no volts or open circuit. Thanks Richard.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:57 AM

yeah, that sounds like a cut line or incomplete connection. you in KC or an outlying city/town? im in Blue Springs
Old 11-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Up in Gladstone, going to check it out during lunch. Richard.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:33 AM

i pass gladstone on my way to/from work. nice to see another local.

let us know what you find!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.