newbie.. dont shoot me please... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 PM
live for the now

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
newbie.. dont shoot me please...

so im looking at picking up a 1999 F250 Extra cab 4x4 with the 7.3 PSD and a 6 speed. it has a newer clutch (less then 20,000 miles on the clutch.) truck has 205,000 miles. I am picking it up for hauling the family around, minor off roading and camping, and I will be PCS'ing to Georgia when i get back from this deployment, so it will be used to pull a car trailer with a mazda3 on it. I know it is more then capable of doing all of this. so my questions are what should I look at when going to look at this truck? what are the largest tires i can fit under it stock? what is the average lifespan of the 7.3? what about the 6 speed manual? anything i will have to look forward to doing in the near future as far as mechanical failures that are inevitable and known? what kind of fuel mileage can i expect with this truck? please bare with this non-worthy newbie....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
With my 2x4 extended cab 6spd I got 22mpg city all day long (18mpg if I harped it). How long will the 7.3 last? Well, how long can you afford to do oil changes for?

As far as largest tires, I THINK they can fit 34's or 35's stock. I know for a fact they will hold 33's.

The 6spd will last forever as long as you dont smash the gears and are a competent stick driver.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggk View Post
so im looking at picking up a 1999 F250 Extra cab 4x4 with the 7.3 PSD and a 6 speed. it has a newer clutch (less then 20,000 miles on the clutch.) truck has 205,000 miles. I am picking it up for hauling the family around, minor off roading and camping, and I will be PCS'ing to Georgia when i get back from this deployment, so it will be used to pull a car trailer with a mazda3 on it. I know it is more then capable of doing all of this. so my questions are what should I look at when going to look at this truck? what are the largest tires i can fit under it stock? what is the average lifespan of the 7.3? what about the 6 speed manual? anything i will have to look forward to doing in the near future as far as mechanical failures that are inevitable and known? what kind of fuel mileage can i expect with this truck? please bare with this non-worthy newbie....
Sweet! I have mine as a family hauler that does some hard work on the weekends too. Works great for that and more. I see the one you are interested in is an extra cab, do you mean that the cab is extended or that it has 4 doors? I have a 4 door crew cab (diesel) and an 'extended cab' F250 - (gas, booo, I know!) - I have taken ONE family trip in the extended cab and it was way too small... crew cab is NICE to have for the family IMO... parking is an opposite story.
I had 285's on my stock truck and they would rub oh so slightly when the wheel was cranked all the way over. No biggie. I am envious of the 6 speed option, they are known to be solid. I am on my second water pump, but at 130,000 miles it does not leak a drop of anything. At all.

Look for it 'sweating power' uhh I mean leaking oil a decent amount, look for bad ball joints (they are REALLY known for them going out) look for evidence of mods - 'edge' or 'superchips' stickers (tuner+ silly kid=disaster), K+N intake or filter are a bad thing... it should not smoke blue, only grey/black when you romp on it. Take the boot off where it attaches to the turbo - that area and the blades themselves should not look tattered at all or 'worn'. I have never seen a truly 'dusted' engine up close in person - so someone can chime in on what that looks like. It's really the only thing that kills those engines. No joke they last forever.

That's it I think - other than general 'car stuff' to look at - tires, brakes, wheel bearings, etc. Good luck!!

MPG - I have gotten 16.05 over a year of tracking the mileage with all sorts of driving mixed in. A lot of city/county (50 mph) driving. Thats with a tuner on it and not pounding it tooo much before I drive it.

I also think that an early '99 is much different than a late '99 - someone please correct me if I am wrong.

There are a lot of people out there looking to sell their trucks out there right now in general. Be sure an look around and drive another truck to see what you think before you jump on it.
Welcome - let us know how it works out!

you Army?
Scott

Last edited by ScottyP5947; 11-10-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:09 PM
live for the now

yes i am in the army. it a regular extended cab with the clam shell back doors. i cant afford to buy a crew cab in cash like i want. i came across this deal due to it needs some body work and needs seats (console and passenger seat are missing) guy wants $5000 for it
Old 11-10-2010, 11:25 PM
live for the now

here is the truck (racks not included)
Attached Thumbnails
newbie.. dont shoot me please...-dscn2790.jpg   newbie.. dont shoot me please...-dscn2792.jpg   newbie.. dont shoot me please...-dscn2793.jpg   newbie.. dont shoot me please...-dscn2799.jpg  
Old 11-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Banned

It's gonna need some lovin.. but i'm sure it will be a great truck for you.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:25 AM

Looks like early 99 with fender badge. Less power, some problem getting parts. 5k seems like a steal in my eyes. I found my late 99 ext cab 250 with 180k with auto for 10k and it was 3-5k less than any other I found and i looked all over the midwest.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thankyou for your service!

As far as how long the 7.3 lasts... it all depends how it has been and will be maintained. thats about all there is to it. If its cared for properly and has reasonable mods it will last a very very long time.

question, are you also haulign a family? If so and your taking any long trips i would suggest waiting for a crew cab, or looking for one out of state (TX has good trucks). I have an ext cab and really really wish i had a crew.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:43 AM
live for the now

well we were just gonna put the 2 girls in the back and my son up front with us... we can make do with that, no sweat!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Looks like a good truck I would just do the basic service off the bat blackstone the oil all the filters oils and drive like you love it. And thanks for the service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.