turbo problem... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 02:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo problem...

So, i finally got around to installing my wicked wheel today and i'm pretty sure i f'd something up. when i took the old wheel off there was a very small amount of play, nothing major, but when i went to put the new one on it only spins about half way up the shaft. i tried spinning the shaft w/out the compressor wheel on and i can hear rubbing. sounds like the turbine side is rubbing. it spun freely before i removed the old one. is it possible i tightened the other side or loosened it? i only took the compressor side off and used an air impact gun on it. now, i'm an idiot and accidentally hit it a few times in the forward direction (to get the stock wheel off) before i realized how dumb i am... this ain't normal is it? should i take the downpipe/turbine side off and see what that side looks like as well? seemed sooo much easier before i tore it apart haha...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdog7 View Post
So, i finally got around to installing my wicked wheel today and i'm pretty sure i f'd something up. when i took the old wheel off there was a very small amount of play, nothing major, but when i went to put the new one on it only spins about half way up the shaft. i tried spinning the shaft w/out the compressor wheel on and i can hear rubbing. sounds like the turbine side is rubbing. it spun freely before i removed the old one. is it possible i tightened the other side or loosened it? i only took the compressor side off and used an air impact gun on it. now, i'm an idiot and accidentally hit it a few times in the forward direction (to get the stock wheel off) before i realized how dumb i am... this ain't normal is it? should i take the downpipe/turbine side off and see what that side looks like as well? seemed sooo much easier before i tore it apart haha...
I would take the turbo out and go through it. Sounds like that accident of overtightening messed up the shaft, If it were me I wouldn't drive it till the turbo is fixed.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:08 PM

ok, i ended up trying to put the stock one back on and it spins freely now? no rubbing or anything. why would the new wheel cause it to grind/not go on all the way? i got mine from xdp... so i took the stock one off again and tried the new wheel. still rubs. but i looked at the wheel and theres no scratches or anything?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:31 PM

update: so i tried putting it on like 6 more times and finally it went on with no rubbing and it spun freely. really weird. definately love the high pitch wine.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
odd. i'd definitely keep an eye on it though and an ear. and yeah she screamss lol.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:26 AM

yea it kinda scares me a bit... also, are these supposed to self-tighten while its running?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdog7 View Post
yea it kinda scares me a bit... also, are these supposed to self-tighten while its running?
They are self-tightening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.