Advice on 99-03 f350 7.3 vs newer 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice on 99-03 f350 7.3 vs newer 6.0

Hello to all I just joined this forum as it looks to be one of the best for Fords. I am giving up a jeep for a Ford Diesel Truck and was looking for your thoughts and advice. I'm leaning toward a 99 to 03 f350 or f250 with preference being to the 99-00 f350, but I've seen a couple newer 6.0 that have been rebuilt (oil pump/head gaskets and studs/injectors/so on). Here are my parameters:

Diesel Crew Cab, short box, will be loaded with 250 to 1000lbs of fun most of the time it is driven. 7.5k is my average use per year (I have a company truck). I want to get 20mpg on average and be in the 300 to 400hp range.

When I'm done with it (I may find one with the upgrades or do them myself) it will have oil & tranny coolers, fuel filter/separator, exhaust, turbo, intake, tuner and gauges (egt, tranny temp, boost), preheat delete, fuel cross over line, and possible new injectors. A 6" lift and slide out bed will also be done.

I want to have this truck for the next 10+ years, so I'm trying to get a feel (as 7.3 owners) from you, given this list, if I should be looking at a 6.0. Another important question: if the truck has been well cared for and the price is right any reason to stay away from a 150-200k mile truck? I've seen several in this range of miles, many with upgrades already done. I've found several with 100k, but they usually have many less upgrades. The pricing is about the same 15k or so (but I would have to do many things on my list to have a lower milage base truck).

Anyhoo, I realize this is a long post, but thanks in advance for your ideas.

Garth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 04:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

200k aint jack if, like you say, it's been cared for. I'm fairly new to the powerstroke family, but I've been around diesels about 20 years.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

youll spend more money getting a 7.3 to a 400 hp than a 6.0. but 300 is a snap. 7.3's when cared for are good for a long long time. 6.0's don't like to sit and not be driven. same goes with 7.3 but it can take it, 6.0 needs to be drive and pushed now and then. the 6.0 also could use some preventative mods. 7.3 doesnt really need any. 20mpg i hear is fairly common with the 6.0. 16mpg with a 7.3 4x4 seems average. if you have a 4x2 you might hit 20 with mods.

your going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere. unless you want to shell out some mod $$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.