cleanning engine? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cleanning engine?

Im want to clean my engine but i would like to know if any one has don it and how before I mess something up. Any help will be appreciate. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mist engine compartment with water. Spray with Simple Green. Scrub. Mist with water. Dry with towel. Don't use high pressure water, just mist, and keep moving while spraying. There's lots of expensive stuff under there. I always try to avoid the fuse box, alternator, etc.

And holy crap you sig pic is HUUUGE.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 AM

Here is what I have heard. I haven't tried it, but is sounds like it might work.

5 Steps to Detailing a Engine - With Professional Results

Supplys:
Windex (3-4 bottles)
Armor All (or some other tire/rubber protectant 3-4 lg bottles)
A couple of old socks
Water hose and low pressure nozzle
Buy extra, you can always use it somewhere else. Naturally stay away from any potentially sensitive areas that are not water resistant. On my car I had a cone intake filter and the distributor but everywhere else was good to go, on the coach there was a couple of areas with fuse blocks and I just stayed away from there. Don't forget the genny if it's an open design.

Step 1: Liberally spray Armor All EVERYWHERE you can, don't be stingy. It'll act as a penetrating agent and is safe for every surface i can think of. You want it to cut the grime.

Step 2: Close the compartment then Start and run the engine to warm it up. The heat will help the Armor All penetrate the accumulated grime. Apply more ArmorAll anywhere you see soaking up and drying out. After 5 minutes of running warm (doesn't need to get to full temp). Turn it off.

Step 3: Apply the Windex EVERYWHERE. This will cut (dilute) the Armor All. Start and run for 5 more minutes (close the hood you want it to be steamy if possible).

Step 4: Take the water hose and gently wash away the grime and stuff from years gone by. There's not much thats not waterproof on a engine but stay away from high pressure.

If you still have pockets of heavy grime you can spot treat directly, scrape it away, etc... or repeat 1-4 again.

Now you can stop here if you want and the results will actually be quite good. Subsequent Windex treatments are needed if you are going to touch up the paint anywhere, as the Windex doesn't totally remove all of the ArmorAll. But to take it to the next level try the socks and a little more ArmorAll.

Step 5: With the socks on your hands spray a little more Armor All lightly and wipe down everything in sight. This will even out the protectant and get rid of dry spots on the hoses. They will look ,ike NEW. Be careful of sharp edges. The results generally will make the engine, hoses, paintwork look FACTORY FRESH. Better results than any I have ever seen from a "Detailer".

One last note: Don't do this in the driveway. The road grime coming off is disgusting and will stain your concrete and possibly garner the DW's wrath. Do it at the curb if possible
Old 11-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

good info, i will try that way tomorrow. thanks
Old 11-05-2010, 03:31 PM

keep us updated if it works good
Old 11-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Don't you worry about it

I just used two cans of Gunk Engine Cleaner and a Steam Genie... didnt have any problems.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:39 PM

OFF TOPIC...strokinpower where at in NC are u? im tryin to get some guys together for a diesel club, maybe ur interested?
Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This is how I clean mine.

Cover the alt.
Remove PG7 filter.
Spray 1-2 cans of Engine brite (has to be the foaming one, the other one is a disaster. It dries out and discolors all rubber/plastic)
Let it sit 10 mins.
Rinse it off with a garden hose. No nozzle, no pressure.
Spray 1 bottle of undiluted simple green over entire engine.
Let it sit 10 minutes.
Scrub any heavy grease/grime/dirt spots.
Rinse again.
Spray Original formula Armor All liberally over entire engine. When I say liberally, I mean it. I use almost a whole bottle. Get it from every angle and spray everything until it is literally dripping wet with it.
Go to bed.
Wake up.
Hose off excess one more time.
Remove bag from alt.
Put air filter back.

I have done it a ton of different ways. This usually gives me the best results. I also used that foaming tire brite in place of the armor all before. That works pretty good too

Good luck
Old 11-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
NC already has the biggest and most active chapter on here. The CPA
Old 11-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
i wash em down all the time,altenator,fuse box,avoid...all connectors have rubber seals.....wash it...above is some good info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.