One Year of MPG's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool One Year of MPG's

Well I've been keeping track of my MPG's since last 11-04-09, and now a year later i have results for anyone that's interested as a reference.

These are all hand calculated.

Truck is a 2000 F250 supercab shortbed.

First half of year: 6" lift, 32" Nitto Terra Grapplers, TW chip, muffler ON, stock intake

Second half of year (starting June '10): 6" lift, 37" BFG KM2's, NO chip, muffler OFF, DIY intake, Rev-X in oil

Total fill ups: 33

Total miles driven: 10,564

Total gallons burnt: 765.4

Yearly average MPG's: 13.8

Best Tank: 16.0 (7/28/10)

Worst Tank: 11.0 (Tie: 7/16/10 & 9/19/10)

Average MPG's with TW chip: 13.1

Average MPG's without TW chip: 15.3

Average MPG's with 32" Nitto Terra Grapplers: 13.1

Average MPG's with 37" BFG KM2's: 13.7

Average MPG's without Rev-X: 13.8

Average MPG's with Rev-X: 13.8

Now to start another year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thats not too bad considering the large tires! I like it when others keep very detailed records of everything about their vehicles.

Just out of curiosity, are you correcting for tire size?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

this defies everything about milage on these trucks.....bigger tires gets you better mileage? weird....and you got better mileage without the chip then with it? did you try keeping your foot out of it? good on you for keeping track for a year though....I dont think I would remember....
Old 11-04-2010, 06:52 PM

what would really be interesting if you could calculate how much you spent on fuel
Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 PM

depending on exact price where you are thats around $2300 in fuel. thats not bad considering larger tires but I feel like the overall number is a bit low somehow
Old 11-04-2010, 07:32 PM

I believe the big tires helping if you do alot of highway driving cause the lower rpm but its crazy you got lower with the TW i guess its just hard to stay out of it. Not bad though, I see my avg being right in the ballpark with yours. Curious on the correcting for tire size question to? Might make it a little higher
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM

that does make sense for highway driving. but thats a lot of highway driving to have that much gain out of 37s
Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy84823 View Post
Thats not too bad considering the large tires! I like it when others keep very detailed records of everything about their vehicles.

Just out of curiosity, are you correcting for tire size?
No but i know i need to. My speedo, tripometer, and odometer are all slightly off. So yah i guess these averages aren't entirely correct. Over Christmas break this year I'm going to go to a shop near my home that corrects for tire sizes and get it perfect. Then when i start keeping yearly averages again (I'm not starting a new record until January 1st, to make it a better date) it will be entirely accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogv21 View Post
this defies everything about milage on these trucks.....bigger tires gets you better mileage? weird....and you got better mileage without the chip then with it? did you try keeping your foot out of it? good on you for keeping track for a year though....I dont think I would remember....
Yes i believe it was the chip that decreased my mileage, not the tires. the reason being i would gun it a lot and blow smoke which of coursed killed my averages. But now that the chip is gone and this thing is slow as heck, i just drive it normal. And actually it was really easy keeping this record. I kept the paper and a couple pens in my center console the whole time and would fill in the blanks while she was filling up. Then calculate it with my phones calculator afterwards, write it in, throw it back in the console and be on my way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerjokin 6.0 View Post
what would really be interesting if you could calculate how much you spent on fuel
Great idea!!!! Starting my new record January 1st and this time I'll make a column for what i payed per gallon and the total for the fill up. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
depending on exact price where you are thats around $2300 in fuel. thats not bad considering larger tires but I feel like the overall number is a bit low somehow
Probably because I haven't corrected for tire size. I know for sure my tripometer is off because before with my 32" tires, a trip from Austin to Katy was exactly 142 miles. With the 37" tires it's down to about 125.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey's250 View Post
I believe the big tires helping if you do alot of highway driving cause the lower rpm but its crazy you got lower with the TW i guess its just hard to stay out of it. Not bad though, I see my avg being right in the ballpark with yours. Curious on the correcting for tire size question to? Might make it a little higher
No didn't correct but I will in December. Starting January 1st I'll be keeping a new record with proper tire size corrections and we'll see how it is next January

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
that does make sense for highway driving. but thats a lot of highway driving to have that much gain out of 37s
Well during the summer when i put the 37's on, i worked about a half hour away mon-fri, and that was roughly 80% highway driving to and from work. Then when school started back up in August I really only used my truck driving to and from Austin back to Katy. So i guess it sort of makes sense because with my 37's it's almost entirely highway driving.

If anybody has any other ideas on records I should be keeping at fill ups like price per gallon, total for fill up, etc, I'm welcome to any suggestions. I plan to start keeping records every January 1st to the next January 1st from now on.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:32 PM

the rotation sensor or whatever shouldnt have anything to do with how much you spend on fuel. so that number I put up should be fairly accurate assuming you paid $3/gal on average
Old 11-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Emergency Services

I can't believe you only put 10k on it in an entire year! Thats 3 months for me I'd hate to know my fuel costs per year...theres a reason I dont keep track Kudos though on your record keeping. One of these days I might have to start keeping track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.