How bad is my turbo? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 06:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How bad is my turbo?

How bad is my turbo?-img_0087.jpg

How bad is this chip going to effect the durability? I have an extra turbo I just dont have the Time/Space to put it in this winter.

Im ready to start doing some mods I just want to make sure the turbo is going to be able to take the extra abuse.

Going to upgrade the air filtation system first then some gaugues and eventually a chip if everything is running properly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What went through it to cause that ? I would remove it . It is out of balance and will beat itself to death , eventually sending crap through the motor .
Old 11-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Banned

^Like he said if its out of balance it will chuck itself apart. But I'd check for shaft play and see if the wheel contacts the housing at all. Is there any scuffing on the housing? It might last for a little bit, but I would be considering the new turbo shortly.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It will run. But it WILL come apart.. These things spin INSANELY fast.
And any part that disconnects will go straight to the motor. You got LUCKY that the first
chunk didn't give you any problems..
Old 11-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wow thats not good.... time for a 38R
Old 11-02-2010, 08:49 PM

If I knew my turbo looked like that I would be parking my truck till I put a new one on. A turbo is alot cheaper and easier fix then a new engine! When that thing comes apart it will take everything with it.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:31 AM

if it were me, id check the compression. that metal went somewhere...

i dont recall if the intakes on the heads have screens, that being said, if your lucky it knicked the piston and left when exhaust opened. if youre really really lucky it went into the piston bowl and left on exhaust.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 AM

They don't have screens.
And it's sounding to me like he got really really lucky.. Because he'd know if it got caught in a valve.
And it'd be white smoking if it knicked the wall.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:58 AM

agreed. sounds like a great time for an upgrade. while your at it, might as well make full use of the new turbo and put in Stage II sticks. while your in there, you could upgrade the hpop, sicne your that far already might as well upgrade the intercooler and intake, and put in a regulated return. and your going to need a tranny upgrade for all this, while your under the truck put in a Dana 60 if you have an F250. be sure to get your chip reburned.

This should yeild sufficient power for daily driving. if not, go stage III and head studs...
Old 11-03-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
agreed. sounds like a great time for an upgrade. while your at it, might as well make full use of the new turbo and put in Stage II sticks. while your in there, you could upgrade the hpop, sicne your that far already might as well upgrade the intercooler and intake, and put in a regulated return. and your going to need a tranny upgrade for all this, while your under the truck put in a Dana 60 if you have an F250. be sure to get your chip reburned.

This should yeild sufficient power for daily driving. if not, go stage III and head studs...
lol lets not get carried away!

I bought my truck with a blown motor so I had to put a new one in. I found this engine with tranny at a local junkyard. Truck was rolled so i figured the drivetrain was good. I never got a good chance to look at the turbo before the motor was installed so I dont know how recently this has happened. The motor runs great I was impressed how much Tq there is stock! Truck doesnt smoke much unless you are being wreckless. Nor does it burn oil. Started up great this morning at 25 degree F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.