just wondering - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 02:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking just wondering

hey y'all i just got a 2000 f250 7.3l i love this truck ive always wanted one since they first came out with the redesign in 99 but i have a few questions about it first i noticed that when at a dead stop its really hard to turn the wheels right/left and am just wondering is that normal for the f250's or is something going out on me and second when the hubs are locked while makeing a hard left i can feel a vibration in the wheel like the tire is rubbing but it isnt if any one has any inisght for me on what the hell is going on with my truck any help would be great and what upgrades do you recommend to gain hp and torque and increase fuel economy currently im only getting 13 mpg with a 60-40 mix city and highway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome...

I'll try to help... my truck does the same thing. I've heard that replaceing the powersteering pump would do the trick, but i have yet to have the free time to change it to find out. The only other option is the steering box it'self. I have driven other superduty trucks, and the steering is lock-to-lock-with-a-finger easy.

As to the vibration, I'd say you have an axle universal joint that is bad... dry, gritty bearings, might be able to grease it, but likely needs replaced.

Post some info about your truck, will help us give better advice, knowing your trucks details better. As to the MPG, I only get about 12 on avrage, tops at 14 on the highway, but it's 10K lbs, and 4.10 gears. I mostly run 2 lane county roads up and down the hills. My buddy has a F250 7.3 with 6sp man trans, 4x4 but with 3.73 gears. He gets 18 regularly, and has no mods at all, none, running the same type roads/miles.

DIY intake, straight pipe the exhaust, get some gauges, and a DP tuner. About $800 should cover it. That's all you really need for a daily driver/work truck.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:07 PM

Have you checked power steering fluid? Does it whine?

As to the 2nd issue, you say hubs locked so assume your in 4 wheel drive.
Just think about what your truck is trying to do. Your turning the front wheel as you are trying to apply power to it. The truck is working against itself, hard turns in 4 wheel drive will make some funny bumps and clunks.

Now if its not while it is in 4 wheel drive, i would check the front end for play/bad components. hub, ball joints, etc.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:10 PM

thanks for the help the truck is pretty much all stock cold air intake and cut exhaust that's thats on it for now until the next pay check comes in what size pipeing do you recommend 4 or 5 inch
Old 11-01-2010, 03:13 PM

4" is obviously cheaper than 5", and 5" is really not necessary unless you are pushing alot of HP.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Stroker View Post
Have you checked power steering fluid? Does it whine?

As to the 2nd issue, you say hubs locked so assume your in 4 wheel drive.
Just think about what your truck is trying to do. Your turning the front wheel as you are trying to apply power to it. The truck is working against itself, hard turns in 4 wheel drive will make some funny bumps and clunks.

Now if its not while it is in 4 wheel drive, i would check the front end for play/bad components. hub, ball joints, etc.
i haven't checked the fluid yet where is the power steering resivor located i don't have the owners manual to reference

and for the second problem its only when the hubs are locked and in 2 wheel drive that i feel the vibration when they are un locked or locked and in 4wd i dont feel anything
Old 11-01-2010, 03:21 PM

I'd still say universal joints in one or both front axles.

Powersteering pump has a removeable lid with dip stick on it, remove and check like any oil dip stick. Fill there also.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:23 PM

Facing your engine, look on the right side. You will see where your steering column comes through your firewall, follow this down and you will see it. It should say power steering.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:43 PM

I just joined this forum, and am starting to learn this stuff, but these two guys know what thier doing, I like both of thier advice from my post. One thing that I would check, and it may not be this at all. But after I bought my F350, it started this loud rubbing noise also on the passenger side. I thought it was a axle bearing and put one on for $200. Didn't change a thing. Took it to another shop, turns out that a motor mount was loose, and the exhaust pipe was rubbing the fire wall. Strange but thats all that was wrong with it. So my lesson one, don't trust a tire place with my truck. Two explore everything before throwin cash at front ends
Old 11-02-2010, 04:42 AM
Banned

Didn't read the whole thread.. but add a container of Lucas power steering stop-whine to your powersteering resevoir; it will help tons.

When your hubs are locked, YES its going to ride like isht because the front/rear tires are going to be trying to turn at the same rate, and on pavement then cant so they buck/jump etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.