First Powerstroke! new young gun - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Powerstroke! new young gun

Well, I finally got a Powerstroke! Man my brother is jealous. I'm only 20 and have a nicer truck then him. I bought myself a nice 1999 7.3L Extended Cab Super Duty Dually. And its a cowboy cadillac, got a eight foot flatbed and nice lights. The guy that I bought it from put an aftermarket exhaust, not sure which and shes not loud. He also slapped another turbo in, and its a nice hard workin unit. I don't think he did much else.

So mainly I'm new to anything diesel and I've already had a few problems. I'm mainly using this truck as a farm/trailer toter truck. I haul alot of hay and needed the weight and power to pull large 8 to 10 tons. And I was runnin her through a field loadin hay and I was hittin bumps and all of a sudden no power, after she was put in a shop and 800 bucks later I found out I blew up the torque converter.

So mainly Ive searched this sight and its mainly about jacked up, over horsepowered rigs, nothin wrong with it, not for me though, and I'm lookin for info on putting in cold air intakes, intercoolers, and added components to get power, milage, and not over due it. Its still got to pull a horse trailer when I'm done and be used as a farm truck.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbedcowboy View Post
Well, I finally got a Powerstroke! Man my brother is jealous. I'm only 20 and have a nicer truck then him. I bought myself a nice 1999 7.3L Extended Cab Super Duty Dually. And its a cowboy cadillac, got a eight foot flatbed and nice lights. The guy that I bought it from put an aftermarket exhaust, not sure which and shes not loud. He also slapped another turbo in, and its a nice hard workin unit. I don't think he did much else.

So mainly I'm new to anything diesel and I've already had a few problems. I'm mainly using this truck as a farm/trailer toter truck. I haul alot of hay and needed the weight and power to pull large 8 to 10 tons. And I was runnin her through a field loadin hay and I was hittin bumps and all of a sudden no power, after she was put in a shop and 800 bucks later I found out I blew up the torque converter.

So mainly Ive searched this sight and its mainly about jacked up, over horsepowered rigs, nothin wrong with it, not for me though, and I'm lookin for info on putting in cold air intakes, intercoolers, and added components to get power, milage, and not over due it. Its still got to pull a horse trailer when I'm done and be used as a farm truck.

Thanks
Thats not really true. It just that the high powered rigs get more spotlight than the normal working trucks but most people on here use their truck to work with. There is a lot of knowledgeable people on here so if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. And welcome to the org.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:19 PM

First, welcome to the .org!!!

Your last statement is far from true, this site has people from just about every type of background imaginable, and the way they use their trucks is just as widespread!!

Now, on to your truck.
This is the quickest/cheapest intake for your truck, ALOT of people run it

DIY Intake

If you are after more power, you will want to look into a chip or tuner for your truck (for 7.3L, i recommend a chip) there is tons of options, and you will find all the answers here.

Before a chip, I strongly suggest you do an intake, exhaust, and some type of monitoring system (gauges or a digital display). This way your truck will be taking in/letting out all the air it can, and you can keep an eye on your parameters.

Hope this isnt to confusing and it helps! Good luck to ya, you are getting into an addiction you were previously unaware of!!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:32 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, I definitly think blowin a geo's doors to moon is sick, I'm just lookin for upgrades for power and torque thats not going to make it so I can't use it as a farm rig.

So I have seen, this thing about unrapping the exhaust or something like that, so its louder?
Old 11-01-2010, 01:40 PM

I dont think there is a better feeling than dog walking a 3000lb 'fart can" civic, in a 7500lb truck.

That being said, there is no reason that after an intake, exhaust, and chip, you cannot use your truck for farm use. Hell, i have all the mods i just listed and farm is just what i do!

"unwrapping" the exhaust, i have not heard of. You can however, remove your stock muffler and cat, (although i dont think the 99 has a cat?)

Pretty simple, just remove and replace with pipe, if you have a cat, it may be easier to just take it out and punch all the crap out, instead of finding pipe to replace it.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:42 PM

I just looked at building a DIY Intake, and would it be better to build one of those forever, or build one and use it till I can get a cold air intake? Also if I do build one will it screw with some of my gauges? I really would like someone to over examine putting one in as I really want to do everything super right.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:45 PM

I drove a 99 7.3L and had the DIY done.

If you take the time and do it right, it will last just as long if not LONGER than buying a complete cold air intake. And it is a helluva lot cheaper.

It will not effect any gauges or throw a code.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 PM

"unwrapping" the exhaust, i have not heard of. You can however, remove your stock muffler and cat, (although i dont think the 99 has a cat?)

I think the guy before me already did take the cat off cause, the pipe isn't factory thats on it. But it still doesn't have that nice diesel rumble. And an unfunny story about that. So after I bought the truck, it developed this loud rattle, and I thought it was the front wheel bearing cause it was louder turning, excellerating, and pulling a load. I paid 200 bucks to replace the right side one, and it didn't stop. Turned out the exhaust pipe was touching the fire wall!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 PM

Unwrapping i think you mean the foil delete? But you didnt have a cat from factory. Just take your muffler off. Look at the mods in my sig and i pull 15k+ regularly. I am putting a lift and tires on this weekend and I am still going to pull my gooseneck with it.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:53 PM

Hmm...if the exhaust was hitting the firewall, it was probably messed with, that is funny though, sorry you spend the 200$ but hey, you got a new wheel bearing!!! LOL.

Is the whole exhaust aftermarket tubing? Or just where the muffler and/or cat were? The stock downpipe for those trucks has a few unessecary bends and kinks in it. If you want a rumble...straight pipe it. You will not be disappointed.

The only thing i hated about my 7.3L was that going down the highway at 70mph the engine is so loud, you cant hear yourself think!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.