Loosing MPG and getting more smoke. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loosing MPG and getting more smoke.

Just trying to gain more knowledge. My truck is at about 190,000 miles right now. Mods are in signature. I have had the tuner for about 15,000 miles or more now. The last 5,000 miles I would say, I have noticed my MPGs dropping and also a lot more smoke than usual. It isnt terrible and I best narrow it to the turbo because it mainly happens at low boost or RPMs. My milage with the chip was initially around 14 mpg (mostly city driving unfortunately.) but it has been dropping and now it is around 12 mpg. Any ideas as to where to look?

Other info: ..... a couple of months back I hauled an enclosed trailer from California to Indiana and back. Ran around 14-17 PSI the whole trip. After that trip is when I started to notice this. EGTs were good the whole trip. I only peaked around 1300 a couple of times for very short periods.

Sorry about the long post. I know it might seem minor but I try to keep on top of things with the truck and am keeping it in the best shape possible. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What are your EGT's now? It sounds like you have a boost leak, check your uppipes and IC boots. Im installing my gauges next week cant wait to see what my trucks doing so i can see if i need to fix anything!!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

EGTs are about the same usually run anywhere from high 500s to low 700s depending on the grades / how much I am in it. The only reason I didnt think it was a boost leak is because my boost is roughly the same. I feel like it doesnt spool as fast as it used to and that I am running about 2psi less than it used to, but when I get in it, I can still peak the same (around 24-25) It does sound like the turbo is louder to me, but I could just be imagining things. It is my truck so every little difference in noise to the ear or seat-o-pants meter and I am looking for what is wrong. I will look over the pipes and boots again though.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
hmmm interesting. i dont know what to say...that all sounds normal..maybe an injector issue?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

Could be. It is nothing serious or urgent right now. That is why I am trying to get more information. Lets me know what to plan towards in the future.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

im not trying to scare you but this sounds similar to an issue I was having with my truck. Now I have a new turbo. I dont have a boost gauge so I cant say what my boost was doing. But i had ben through the entire sytem took all the ic pipes and boots off checking for leaks. checked the up pipes and everthing. fuel milage just wasnt like it used to be and i swear my turbo was getting louder. One day on a trip to PA I mashed it, a huge puff of smoke and then my turbo begane to howl. Truck made it all the way to PA and half way back.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

Didnt scare me.... I always expect the worst with my luck. How many miles did your truck have on it when the turbo took a dump and how long did it last after you first noticed it? My goal is to replace the turbo within the next 6 months or so with a GTP38R. I know the stock turbos are good but they do have a life span. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
also winter is coming and my mileage is going down with the winter fuel they start selling
i usually see a change in my mileage (going down in fall and going back up in spring)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.