EGT Gauge Pyro Install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2006, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGT Gauge Pyro Install

I am new to the group of guys doing or planning upgrades to stock trucks. I have installed a K&N air filter kit. The next thing I want to do is put in a gauge package. From then on, I can monitor for safety of turbo and should be able to see improvements in boost. Here is the question. I saw the Banks 6 gun install on "TRUCKS". They removed the manifold to install the pyro sensor. Looks like a tuff job. How hard will it be to get manifold off of a 2002 7.3? Worried about broken bolts/studs etc. I looked at the cutaway photos (Big thanks to 099f350 for posted them). How does the manifold seal to turbo inlet tube? You guys that have done this job already is it a major PITA?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2006, 06:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS in W PA
I am new to the group of guys doing or planning upgrades to stock trucks. I have installed a K&N air filter kit. The next thing I want to do is put in a gauge package. From then on, I can monitor for safety of turbo and should be able to see improvements in boost. Here is the question. I saw the Banks 6 gun install on "TRUCKS". They removed the manifold to install the pyro sensor. Looks like a tuff job. How hard will it be to get manifold off of a 2002 7.3? Worried about broken bolts/studs etc. I looked at the cutaway photos (Big thanks to 099f350 for posted them). How does the manifold seal to turbo inlet tube? You guys that have done this job already is it a major PITA?

Thanks
the manifold seals to the turbo inlet tube via two long bolts and a round flange that has no gasket.....it is a metal on metal seal and as long as the pipe isnt loosened up at the turbo, you should have no risk of exhaust leaks......

that said, i see no reason why you would need to remove the manifold. if you get underneath the truck and look at the drivers side exaust manifold, you have very easy access to it from underneath. you should be able to drill and tap the manifold from there. the reason they are pulling the manifold is they dont want metal fragments to be sitting in the exahst manifold. if you drill very slow, i dont think you can put enough metal in there to cause any problems on the exhaust side of the turbo........im sure some guys who have done it will be posting soon though.......Marc
Old 04-30-2006, 06:45 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
WELCOME!! I did mine on my 6.0 and it's really a walk in the park. There is no need to remove the manifold. You will need to pay close attention to be sure you get all the shavings out though. I maybe went a bit overboard using a small telescopic magnet and rigged a piece of line to my shop vac that I could stick in there to be absolutely sure I got ALL the shavings out. Other than that like I said it's really easy. If you go to do it and have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask - and once again welcome to Powerstroke.org!
Old 04-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay, that doesn't sound too tough. Any recommendation on particular brand. I'm okay with pillar mount gauges, but does anyone make an indash Boost & EGT unit?
Old 04-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
No it's not too tough at all - plus we're all here to help if you have any questions.
I've got the ISSPRO in the triple A-Pillar pod and I REALLY, REALLY like the look. I'm not sure about an in dash model but I'm sure some of the others on here might know of something. My new Bully Dog should be here tomorrow and I'm going to mount the Outlook Monitor right next to my current gauges and run a post turbo gauge for it so I'll have both pre and post readings. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:28 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Try this link it's a nice walk through...pictures and everything!http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/PSD3-...D3gauge-p1.htm
Click the pictures for a written walk through

Last edited by hightorque; 04-30-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile

Thanks again for answering my questions. I had no idea there were so many links to sites detailing each of these upgrades. It seems that the main thing on pyro install is to be sure all drill and tapping chips get vacuumed out or magnetly extracted from the manifold. Thanks again.

RDS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.