Oil Leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Leak

I looked through some of the other threads about this but I'm going to ask you guys anyway. Seems a lot of trucks are having front main seal leaks. I too think I am in this boat. I have oil all over the right side of the oil pan and all across the bottom of pan too. Looked like oil pan gasket on first inspection. But, when I look closer at front of the engine, it seems to originating at the front seal. Is this a covered item on 5 yr /100,000 mile warranty for 2002 F250? I'll admit that I have not read the fine print in owners manual. Any help would be appriciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Banned

Yes, it is covered under the 5/100k warranty, and yes, i have seen a TON of front crank seals leaking. the best way to tell if it is the front crank seal is to look at the low pressure oil regulator plug. it is the round plug with an allen wrench style indentation on the front of hte motor.....its the only round thing below the crank that isnt aluminum....it is visable from the bottom and is just barely on the passanger side of the motor from dead center...but still below the crank pulley..............if there is oil there...odds are your front crank seal is leaking......Marc
Old 04-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oil Leak

Thanks Marc. I'll look into it early in the morning. I'll be back to this site soon. I want to do some upgrading to my truck. It seems like you and others got your stuff together. Looking into 4" exhaust, chips, turbo upgrade, etc. Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Banned

hey....how rude of me....welcome aboard.....always good to welcome a new member and it was rude of me not to.....but defianetly check back in with us and feel free to post questions and any info you may come accrossed or learn.....you never know who you will help with some good info ..........Marc
Old 04-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oil Leak

Hey Marc,

Yes, there is oil on Plug as you said. I will make an appointment with a dealership in my area for repair. This should be a one day affair right? Drop it off in morning and pick it up in evening. Looks like maybe a two hour or so job to remove damper pulley and belt, pull seal cover, and replace seal. I am at oil change mileage. Should I wait until they get seal replaced to change oil? As in, is there a chance they can get junk in new oil that doesn't belong?

Thanks,
Russell
Old 04-30-2006, 06:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS in W PA
Hey Marc,

Yes, there is oil on Plug as you said. I will make an appointment with a dealership in my area for repair. This should be a one day affair right? Drop it off in morning and pick it up in evening. Looks like maybe a two hour or so job to remove damper pulley and belt, pull seal cover, and replace seal. I am at oil change mileage. Should I wait until they get seal replaced to change oil? As in, is there a chance they can get junk in new oil that doesn't belong?

Thanks,
Russell
you can change the oil whenever you need to, as long as the tech isna a baffoon, nothing will get into the oil to cause a problem........

as far as the job.....its a little bigger job than your average fromt crank seal since everything is so tight on the front of that motor and getting the fan and shroud out takes a little longer than your average vehicle.....but it is less than a half day job so if you dropped it off bright and early there is no reason they shouldnt be able to have it done the same day as long as they have the seal in stock...........Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.