Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2 wheel abs, 4 wheel abs, identifying

17K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  BadGT04 
#1 ·
Im about to be purchasing a new wheel hub and noticed when ordering parts you can get the hub made for 2 wheel abs or 4 wheel abs. How do you tell if your truck is 2 or 4 wheel abs before starting disassembly?

#3 ·
The easiest way to tell would be to look at the front spindle and see if there is an electrical wire going to the spindle. The 4wheel ABS trucks will have a wire that goes to a sensor which reads pulses from a toner ring on the hub assembly.

The 2wheel ABS trucks don't have that sensor or the toner ring on the hub.

PS if the truck is 2wheel ABS, its ABS on the rear only... just FYI.

#4 ·
Not true... My truck doesn't have 4 wheel ABS, yet it has the ABS sensor in the front hubs, complete with wiring. I know the truck doesn't have ABS because my insurance went up due to it (ABS is a discount), and, well, if you lay on the brakes, the tires lock up. :wink[3]:

#6 ·
Agree, if in doubt buy the hubs for the 4 wheel abs truck. I dunno, my truck has 4 wheel abs, so I just figured that was why it had the sensors, haha. But I guess it would have them even if it was only two wheel abs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.