Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Yorba Linda
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E'99 F-350 SD Trailer Tow Charge Relay Location
Been lurking for a while and know I need some help from those of you who know much more than myself.
As stated above, I have a 1999 (manuf date 6/98) F-350 SD 4x4 7.3 with tow package, etc. While I have towed plenty since the truck was new, I've never used or connected the Trailer Tow Battery Charge circuit....until today.
Here's the problem:
1) There is no power at this wire at the factory Hoppie Plug near the rear bumper. All other circuits at this Hoppie Plug work fine.
2) The owners manual has a chart and diagram for each fuse box. both indicate that the fuse for the Trailer Tow Battery Charge circuit is in position #16 inside the High-current power distribution center (fuse box) under the hood.
3) All fuses at both the under hood fuse box and the interior fuse box are installed correctly, have clean contacts, and have been tested with a trouble light.
4) The owners manual chart correctly indicates that the fuse box under the hood has 37 positions, including relays and fuses.
5) The owners manual diagram shows that there are a total of 40 fuses and relays in the under hood fuse box, but the diagram does not show a position/location for items 38, 39, 40.
As luck has it, item #39 is the Trailer Tow Battery Charge relay, but as mentioned, it does not show a location for position #39 and despite much effort, I have been unable to locate this relay.
As mentioned, the fuse is good and there are no empty relay sockets that I have found in either distribution box or anywhere else I have searched under the hood and dash. Since the fuse is good, I suspect the relay is defective, but I cannot find it ANYWHERE!!!
I did read a few articles indicating that this relay is mounted next to the under hood fuse box, but I have definitely looked and looked and looked and looked and looked again, but do not see any other relays nearby.
In summary, I trust the circuit exists in the truck and is pre wired because there is a a wire for this circuit at the rear Hoppie plug, and further, there is a fuse for this circuit in the fuse panel. The only missing link is the relay, which seems to be MIA.
Does anyone know where the F this relay and/or blank socket could be hiding?!?!?
Thanks in advance for your help!