my trans finally died what to get now i need input - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation my trans finally died what to get now i need input

i been looking on ebay and found one for 1750$ and it says performance but i donno it has 3 yr 100000 mile warranty and i would get an ats torqe converter the 5 star one otherwise a bts but i cant afford one right now please give me input i need my truck running asap all input is appreciated let me know what i should do i want to stay cheap but if its not worth it to get cheap tell me tell me what you got and how u like it thanks guys i know you will guide me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 PM
aluminum tubing engineer

suncoasts are ~2500...

Sun Coast Converters Diesel Transmissions, Fort Walton Beach FL

...everyone is gonna tell you to bite the bullet and go BTS but you already know $$$
Old 10-21-2010, 06:15 PM

what happened? cheapest would be master rebuild kit and TQ would be about 800$ +/- if u do it yourself
noob transmission rebuild ... for the poor man
Old 10-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Cynic

Don't screw around. Diesel Innovations, Brian's Truck Shop, or John Wood. There is a REASON to have an expert build the trans.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:00 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
Don't screw around. Diesel Innovations, Brian's Truck Shop, or John Wood. There is a REASON to have an expert build the trans.
If you've got $3-5K to spend and need a bullet proof, long life trans I'm sure that's the right answer.

BUT, in most cases the stock trans went over 100k, not everybody needs better than what came with their truck.

I've been cut & pasteing all of wiyrs's thread as he posted it I'd be up for doing my own when needed!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:43 AM
Cynic

Ok, you can cut and paste the info as well. And someone can come in behind you and cut and paste numerous threads about "rebuilds" failing at 20-30-50k.

...even on stock trucks.

And 3-5K doesn't really mean you get a bullet proof trans. I have a bit of money tied up in mine, but I've bought parts from BTS, John Wood, and DI. The trans was assembled by DI (closer to me) after long conversations about what I wanted. My truck doesn't always put out maximum power. Rarely do I take it out of daily tune. Driving around town, hauling the ATV and equipment to the deer lease, or pulling a '35 TT.

If you are DETERMINED to build a trans, do yourself a favor and pay attention.

Sonnax accumulator parts. Do not go above the .347 (I think). I have a .427 (I think, I have a lot of details written down at home). They go all the way to .500. This is stupid and most trucks will shift like crap.

You can use the Trans-go plate. to help to the valve body with the Sonnax parts, but it's a moot point. Build the trans to be tough, tune shifting characteristics within the tuning. BTS uses the plate, John Wood and DI usually doesn't. Stay away from FTVB's. I don't like them at all.

Stay away from alto reg eagle clutches and steels. They are crap. Use only Borg-Warner clutches and steels.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:51 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
If you are DETERMINED to build a trans, do yourself a favor and pay attention.

Sonnax accumulator parts. Do not go above the .347 (I think). I have a .427 (I think, I have a lot of details written down at home). They go all the way to .500. This is stupid and most trucks will shift like crap.

You can use the Trans-go plate. to help to the valve body with the Sonnax parts, but it's a moot point. Build the trans to be tough, tune shifting characteristics within the tuning. BTS uses the plate, John Wood and DI usually doesn't. Stay away from FTVB's. I don't like them at all.

Stay away from alto reg eagle clutches and steels. They are crap. Use only Borg-Warner clutches and steels.
OK,,, I've added your recommendations to the notes
Old 10-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
OK,,, I've added your recommendations to the notes
I would have DI, BTS, or John Wood handle the valve body. If you feel that you must do it,

Sonnax Transmission, Torque Converter, Performance, Driveline Parts :: High Performance Transmission :: Ford :: 4R100

And stay away from this:

Sonnax Transmission, Torque Converter, Performance, Driveline Parts :: High Performance Transmission :: 96948-05K :: Part Summary

EDIT:

And I do like this little piece..

http://www.sonnax.com/part_summary.php?id=3642&pl=3

Last edited by Dirk; 10-22-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:41 AM

I got a pullout from a wreck that works. going to run that while I rebuild mine with the help from the link above. Going to get the ARI TC I think.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:52 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You may want to check..for a DYI kit call John Wood, better than any kit your going to find on the web.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.