01 E350 7.3 cranks great but no start...IPR? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 E350 7.3 cranks great but no start...IPR?

Ok, this is an 01 E350 7.3 Ambulance, truck has been alittle slow to start when cold and runs rough till warmed up but now it just cranks but wont start, it acts like its going to start but just not getting enough fuel, i dont have access to a scanner and the CEL isnt on, frame mounted lift pump is running. I was thinking maybe its a CPS but im leaning more towards a bad IPR or bad IPR orings and looking for some advice.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I know this is the answer nobody wants to hear but start by checking your battery cables. I had the same problem, I changed the IPR, and the cam sensor and still had the same problem. So I called my budy who was a Ford diesel tech for 20 years, the first thing he did was clean the battery cable ends and terminals on the battery and it fired right up. I felt so stupid for letting my truck sit for two weeks and throwing a bunch of money at it just to have it turn out to be corroded battery connections. I would start there, if it doesnt work it still didnt cost anything and it never hurts to have clean connections
Old 10-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodV6 View Post
Ok, this is an 01 E350 7.3 Ambulance, truck has been alittle slow to start when cold and runs rough till warmed up but now it just cranks but wont start, it acts like its going to start but just not getting enough fuel, i dont have access to a scanner and the CEL isnt on, frame mounted lift pump is running. I was thinking maybe its a CPS but im leaning more towards a bad IPR or bad IPR orings and looking for some advice.

Thanks

change the cps,its only 30 bucks....
Old 10-19-2010, 05:37 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My buddy that fixed it for me said that the computer needs a certain voltage ( I forgot the exact voltage) to the computer to fire the injectors. If the voltage is too low, the batteries may still have enough power to crank the motor normally but not enough to fire the injectors too. If you hook up a battery charger to give it a boost does it start?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 AM

Could be your pcm fuse under the dash. Its number 22 i believe and it also runs the fuel bowl heater. If its blown unplug the heater and put a new fuse in. pretty common
Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you ever figure this out?

Our 2000 E350 just started doing the same thing. Did you figure out what was causing this on your van? Thanks
Old 03-30-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammasvan View Post
Our 2000 E350 just started doing the same thing. Did you figure out what was causing this on your van? Thanks

check your batteries, you need voltage. do you have a spare cps sitting around? pump is running?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:38 PM

I've got something close to the same problem. After I did an injector buzz test when the engine is cold I found out only 3 injectors work. When I get the truck started it runs fine when warm. If I do the buzz test when the engine is warm all the injectors work. I will be changing the injectors this fall... lol
Old 03-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

running for now

Changed the fuel filter... still cranked over but no start.
Changed the CPS... still cranked over but no start.
Disconnected both batteries and checked them independently... aok, reconnected and still no start.
Opened up the HPOP and put a rod down to check oil level. It was full... Closed it up again and motor started right up.

So I have no idea what was wrong or what fixed it. The van was 2 quartz low on oil before it quit starting. Maybe it had something to do with the HPOP. I'll drive it around for a while and see if it does it again.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodV6 View Post

Thanks
I have a 97 e350 retired ambulance with a 7.3 powerstroke in it and mine is doing the exact same thing, turns over perfect sounds like it wants to fire but doesn't.. changed the cam sensor, fuel filter, oil and filter and now the ECM still wont fire, I need help and insight on what to look at now.. battery cables are clean and tight, someone told me to check the IPR sensor and everything I found online showed it under my turbo so I took it off and its not there! really frustarated and need advice please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.